Is it possible to make new images larger but save the old ones as they are?

• I’m wondering if it’s possible to have all the images on my blog exactly the size they already are, but make all my new images big (1000×666).

When I resize my images now in css, of course everything looks very strange since they’ve been small in the first place. I want all my images from now on to be big but save the old ones as they are so it doesn’t look weird.

Is this possible at all?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• The problem is that your content area is not 1000px wide, which means you cannot put 1000px wide images in there. Your content area is only 520px wide. To get the content area to accept 1000px wide images, you would have to have the main container at least 1200px wide (given the sidebar is 200px) and that isn’t accounting for padding and such.

One thing to keep in mind is that over 40% of those on the internet are still on 1024px wide monitors which means that to accommodate them, the full width of the container (content + sidebar) should be around 990px.

We can adjust things so that you can have 1000px wide images in the main content area, but do realize that over 40% of your visitors will have to scroll horizontally to see anything that is in your sidebar. Basically your sidebar will be hidden from over 40% of your visitors.

• Thank you for your reply. I’ve been playing around a bit with the content area. It’s hard because the sidebars are falling down to the bottom of the page and the text (blog post texts) are all of a sudden reaching really far on the main page.

I basically have no idea what to do. But it feels like it should be possible to

a) make the content broarder
    b) make the images bigger
    c) make the blog post text fit nicely together with the images
    and c) have the sidebar slightly closer to the pictures and the text so that it all fits in the same content.

I just don’t know how to.

• OK, here is what to do, but please note that by going with what I have below, you are effectively leaving over 74% of web users out in the dust since they will have to scroll horizontally to see anything in the sidebar, and for 40% of them, they won’t even be able to see the entire image. Your choice, but I certainly would not want to alienate 74% of my users and not even 40%. It’s not a good thing.

In #container take the width to 1300px (sidebar width plus all padding).

In #content-main take the width to 1020px.

That will give you 1000px net width in the content area.

Now, below the CSS edit text area in the “image width field put 1000.

• Oh yeah, and you will have to take the width in #header to 1300px as well and create a new header image, upload it to your media library and then put the URL of that image into #header a (and change the width there to 1300px as well.

• My suggestion would be to move to a theme that has a full-width template with bottom widgets. That way you aren’t presenting so many with the thought of having to scroll horizontally (which is the #3 out of 10 things people dislike most on the web).

• Thank you. I know I’ve been looking for a theme but they are all quite ugly and really not what I’m looking for. I’ll try everything you just wrote and let you know how I went .

So this will make all the images larger.. even the old ones..

Is there no way I can keep the old ones the way they look now?

• No, the older image will stay at the same size they are now.

If you want them larger, and they were originally uploaded at less that 1000px wide, my suggestion is to create new images that are 1000px wide and then replace the original smaller images.

If you don’t mind them being smaller, then you have nothing to do. The new changes will only affect images uploaded from now on.

• Thank you again, It works and the old pictures stays the same, perfect.

I’ll try to change around with the sizes a bit so that one doesn’t have to scroll to the right, I think that’s quite annoying too.

Perhaps don’t have to have exactly 1000×666 but one or two steps smaller..

• If you went 800px wide for images, that would put the width of the container at about 1100px, which is still a touch wide, but the bulk of the sidebar would be visible. The other thought would be to narrow the sidebar a little, from 200px although aesthetically with a very wide main column, a narrow sidebar can look funny.

• OK thank you I’ll try that..

This is another topic I guess, but just thought I’d ask you: if you know how to make the boxes around the tag cloud (and the other widgets) invisible so that it looks like the tag clous is floating in the air?

Thank you again!

• This will get rid of the grey backgrounds.

`li.sidebox {background:none; }

• YES! Thank you, thank you!

• The topic ‘Is it possible to make new images larger but save the old ones as they are?’ is closed to new replies.