Increasing page width

• Hi. Merry Christmas to all!

Question:
    Is there a way to increase the width of each page on my site (meaning, not the background, but the informational area of the site that is colored white, with the 7 tabs/menu items at the top?)

Or, alternatively, on the page of my site labeled “Acting Resume”, can I remove the sidebar (that says “What’s new?) from that page alone, and extend the horizontal lines and the text to be longer? (The problem I am having is that my resume looks too squashed. There should be ideally one, maybe two lines of text for each entry, but definitely not three…) Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi fleecemail,

Merry Christmas :)

Try adding this line of custom CSS.

.site {
        max-width: 90%;
    }

To add custom CSS

Select Appearance > Customize > CSS from your Admin Dashboard and enter the custom CSS there.

You need to be on the WordPress.com Premium Plan for custom CSS to save.

• Hello,

I’d also like the post section on my site to be wider, to extend farther to the right; the right sidebar is wider than I need it to be.
    https://ordinaryphilosophy.wordpress.com/

I’m currently using this CSS code
    #page {
    max-width: 1150px;
    }

offered by another helpful blogger, which helped; however, it extends the post section of the page father left, rather than narrowing the sidebar to the right so that there’s increased space for the main post section.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

– Amy

• Hi Amy

To make the sidebar area narrower and the post section a bit wider try adding:

#secondary {
        width: 20%;
    }

#content {
        margin-right: 25%;
    }

To add custom CSS

Select Appearance > Customize > CSS from your Admin Dashboard and enter the custom CSS there.

You need to be on the WordPress.com Premium Plan for custom CSS to save.

• Many thanks, g471n & Amy!! very helpful. Happy 2016!

• You are welcome. I’m happy it worked for you :)

• The topic ‘Increasing page width’ is closed to new replies.