Identification of media not uploaded to a portfolio/post/page

• Hi,
    I am asking on behalf of a client who would like to know if there is a way of identifying those media files that have not being ‘used’ i.e. not attached to any post/page/portfolio?
    I understand the attached filter is identifying media not uploaded to WordPress via a particular post/page/portfolio. Is that correct?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there!

Yes there is! Go to the WP Admin, select “Media” from the menu on the left. Then there will be a bar of display options (includes the search bar on the right). One of the options will be a dropdown that displays “All Media Items” by default. Select that and change it to “unattached” that will show you all the images that have not been added into a post or page.

Let us know if that’s not what you’re looking for.

Kind regards,
    Jason

• Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think the unattached filter is what I’m looking for although I’m still a bit confused as to what ‘attaching’ an image actually does when in the media library and viewing all the unattached files.

• I think that the attached pictures are just the ones being used somewhere on the site and the unattached ones are the ones that have not been used on any particular page or post in the website. Unattached photos do not have a URL.

Not sure if that’s what you are looking for or not. I don’t see any option to make a photo “attached”.

Kind regards,
    Jason

• If you are in the media library and have the images displayed as a list view whilst filtering unattached, when you hover over an image title with your mouse, various options appear including attach.
    If you choose to attach a file you have a box pop up with a list of pages/posts where you can ‘attach’ your image. If you choose to attach an image then the image isn’t posted to that page/post but instead is ‘associated’ with it as if you were working on that post/page when the image was uploaded.
    I think this is what happens so in my mind unattached and attached do not mean the opposite of each other but I would really like this confirmed before I bulk delete all the files that are labeled unattached.

• The topic ‘Identification of media not uploaded to a portfolio/post/page’ is closed to new replies.