icons instead of translations

• I would like to use a clean theme like simpla or white as milk. The problem is that none of the themes I would like to use are translated correctly. Most of them are not translated at all. I think it must be possible to develop a theme that has icons in stead of words. Simpla is halfway: it uses icons and could do without the English explanations. It would need some extra icons for the comments page. The date could be just in numbers. If a theme like this would be developed – icons instead of words – I’m sure many wordpress users would benefit from it: a theme that can be used in any language you can imagine! I have given this a thought and I’m sure it is possible by means of creating icons. (To give an example: the send button on the comments page could be an envelope with an arrow) I am not skilled to develop a theme like this but I do hope someone is taking up the challenge.
    I would be very happy with a simple theme with an option to add a lot of pages (like simpla or white as milk or the journalist)and icons in stead of English words and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

• There are some already being used on independent WP blogs, but they are more difficult to navigate. I’m using one here:
    http://shebeenclub.com

If you know enough CSS, it should be possible to replace the text with images and so adapt virtually any theme to an all-icon setup. But first you’ve got to be pretty handy with both CSS and information architecture.

• Tanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don’t know any CSS. I guess I’m hoping for an icon based theme popping up on the theme page of wordpress.com, since I do believe it would be a solution for many. Although I do realize it will be quite a bit of work.

• You can help translating almost anything on: http://translate.wordpress.com

• I did help to translate, but as far as I understood the translation project will not be effective soon. An icon based theme could be a solution.

• The topic ‘icons instead of translations’ is closed to new replies.