I tried to change my blog url, but it keeps creating new blogs!

• So I’ve had my blog for a couple months now, hated the name I had almost since day 1, and finally tonight I came up with a better name for it. So, I went and changed my blog title from Everything And The Kitchen Sink to Stay Lily. then I went to the My Blogs page and changed the url to staylily.wordpress.com, (actually I think I misspelled it first and typed staylilly, then afterwards went back and changed it to the correct spelling) but I did not trash the old name, as I wasn’t 100% sure I wanted to yet. Then I opened the wordpress app on my iPhone to make sure my new info was showing as up to date, which it wwasn’t. So, I logged out and then logged in with my new url, and it can’t figure out where my posts are, because there’s two of the same name (one with the misspelled url, one without) and apparently I logged into the wrong one. That’s when I realized something was off. I went back to my pc, to the My Blogs page and found out I have three blogs now, all with different combinations of the old name, old url, the new name, new url, the misspelled name, and the misspelled url. It shows as if I now have three different blogs, which is totally wrong! Upon clicking around, I discovered that only one of them actually has all my blog posts and info attached to it. So it really is like I have 3 different blogs…when I have onl tried to change the name twice.
    So, in trying to figure out the problem, I changed my site name yet again, this time to a dummy name, which it shows now as yet another blog in My Blogs. So then tried to change it back to the real name, and it doesn’t allow me to, because “that site already exists” …of course!
    So now, according to the My Blogs page, I have five blogs; one with the old username, one with the new one, one with the misspelling (which is the one that is showing as my real blog now for some reason, with all my posts and info on it), and two dummy blogs I somehow created while attempting to figure out what was going on!
    Please help me. I dont know how to fix this. I only want to switch my actual blog url back to staylily and delete the rest.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Do not delete anything. There is a duplicate blog issue that Staff are dealing with. I’ll tag this thread for Staff assistance. Please subscribe to the thread so you are notified when they respond and please be patient while waiting.

• Thank you so much timethief. I’m leaving the blog settings alone for now.

• There are many waiting for Staff. Please subscribe and be patient.

• I am subscribed. I understand they must be very busy right now. I can wait. :) Thanks

• It looks like you have created the following unique blogs, some of which appear to be the product of the blog name change tool:

staylilly.wordpress.com
    everythingandthekitchensinkblog.wordpress.com
    stay5lily.wordpress.com
    staylily.wordpress.com
    staylily5.wordpress.com

Note that each one has a slightly different blog name (the part before the wordpress.com).

You can visit each one by clicking on them in your drop-down menu. You can access a direct link to each in your Dashboard by going to http://BLOGNAME.wordpress.com/wp-admin/

To delete extraneous blogs, go to http://en.support.wordpress.com/delete-site/

• Thank you Jackie. I have one concern though. The current blog url is staylilly.wordpress.com, which is a misspelling of what I actually want it to be: staylily.wordpress.com. If I delete all of the blog url’s with the exception of the current working one, staylilly, which has all my blog posts, etc., that would include deleting staylily, and I assume the software wouldn’t then allow me to then go in and change the name to staylily, since it would have been a previously used name. Is that correct?

• I also now have another problem, which I have just discovered. Just a few minutes ago, I updated my “About” page on staylilly, then visited the about page to make sure it looked right, which it did. A few minutes later, I click the “Home” button at the top, which is next to “About,” and it takes me to everythingandthekitchensinkblog.wordpress.com (my original blog url before I changed it), which is now a blank site because my blog is now located at staylilly.wordpress.com, the misspelled new address.
    So in other words, not only has this bug given me multiple blogs I do not need or want, it has also messed up at least one of my links (I successfully accessed a category, “Beauty,” from the “About” page and it worked fine, so I know that not all links are messed up.) I am even more confused now, and very concerned about my blog.

• I’m sorry to hear this is so confusing. Let’s see if we can sort it out.

When you change a blog address, you have the option to either keep the previous blog address or delete it. By keeping all of the old addresses, you will be able to use any of them again in the future, but those will be blank sites because you have essentially moved your content to the new address.

If you want to use one of the blog names you previously created, you can export your content from a different site and import it back into the previous site. You cannot, however, change the blog address again to an address previously used, because our system considers both the old blog address and the new one to be separate blogs. Another caution: deleting a previous address will not make it available as an option to change your address again.

My best recommendation is for you to settle on your final blog address, and if it already exists, export your content from staylilly.wordpress.com and import it into the site that is at the address you want to use.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/moving-a-blog/#moving-between-wordpress-com-blogs

• Thanks so much Jackiedana! I’m about to attempt switching my blog like you’ve described, and hopefully I do it right this time. I appreciate your help so much :)

• Sounds good. Let me know if you need more help with this. :)

• Thank you. I successfully switched it over this evening, and so far I’ve had no problems with it :)

• The topic ‘I tried to change my blog url, but it keeps creating new blogs!’ is closed to new replies.