I need a little help with this message

• I need help! for a few weeks now every time I open my firefox browser not even a few seconds pass when a message takes up the whole page that reads:

The connection was reset
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network
    connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Then I have to click refresh a bunch of times in order for the page to load, and most times the loading bar doesn’t even appear after I click refresh, just the “done” message at the bottom left corner. This happens with whatever page I’m trying to open, from google, to youtube, to my hotmail account. Sometimes it seems to be working fine, then suddenly the pages won’t open at all.
    What can I do? Please help me!
    Thanks

• You need to contact your computer provider. Sounds like your modem needs to be reset and then get a new IP. It happens to most of us at some point. It’s not hard to reset, but it sounds as if you’ve never done it before. I’d call your provider, tell them exactly what the message says. They’ll know how to walk you through it.

• Do you know like how often do you need to reset your modem and get a new IP address? I had my modem changed for a newer model about a year ago, does that make any difference? your right I’ve never done it before and I didn’t even know it had to be done!

• It doesn’t happen that often. It’s happened to me twice in 5 years. The first time I was clueless and called my provider. The second time, I knew what to do. I’m not a technician, by the way. Just what you’re describing is what happened to me when my modem needed to be reset. It was intermittent, where I could get online when the modem felt like letting me do it.

• Yeah, it’s as if my modem like “hmm I’m gonna mess with her for a few hours… or longer”… thanks a lot!

• I’ve been fighting this for several weeks, and there is nothing wrong with my modem (they’ve sent me two others to try and sent out a repairman to check all my lines). The problem lies with my ISP (Qwest). They have issues, but they will not admit to it and the repairman told me as much.

I’ve configured my modem to automatically reconnect when it loses connection and yesterday I had 11 different IP addresses (get a new one almost every time time it automatically reconnects).

I would tell you how to configure your modem that way, but each modem is different, and yours may or may not have that ability.

• Mine is configured that way also, sacred. But I didn’t do that through my modem, but through network connections on Windows XP.

• I had the same problem as the OP is describing..

I had this problem last night so I called the company That
    made the router to walk me thru the steps of resetting
    the router and they walked me thru some settings and helped
    me update the firmware for the router and it fixed the problem…

• @diamond, On my modem, I configure via my browser modem control panel. That was what the Qwest repairman recommended. I’ve gone 5 years without a problem of any kind, but the last several weeks have been bloody.

• The topic ‘I need a little help with this message’ is closed to new replies.