I don’t like clouds

• I’d like to put a list of categories and/or tags in a widget… but the only ones I can find are in cloud formation :D

don’t like this effect and would much rather just have a straight list. Does such a thing exist or can I create it somehow?

thanks

Sally
    theyearofeatingseasonally.wordpress.com

• we have a categories widget as well as a tag cloud widget.

• There should be a “category 1” widget under presentation > widgets which is not a cloud, but unfortunately, when it comes to tags, there is only the tag cloud.

The only way to create a straight list would be manually using a text widget, and since there is no tags page or anything, there really isn’t any way to get a list other than going through your posts and creating one by hand.

The tags and tag cloud widget should never have been introduced without controls similar to the category cloud widget, and without some way to manage them. A job half done.

A tag list widget similar to the category 1 widget probably would not work since some people have hundreds of tags (I have right at 100) – and some multiple hundreds. That would make for a really long list in the sidebar, but perhaps they could introduce a pulldown or popup tag list widget. Or perhaps a two-column tag list page.

The bottom line is, when it comes to tags, the cloud is all there is.

• The only way to create a straight list would be manually using a text widget, and since there is no tags page or anything, there really isn't any way to get a list other than going through your posts and creating one by hand.

actually there IS a better solution.

How to have a Tag List in the side bar or a page/post in a wordpress.com blog

• My category cloud looks awful. Its too jammed together. Pretty much unusable. Do I not have enough categories? Thoughts? http://www.mcdj.wordpress.com

TIA! Relatively speaking, I’m a newbie to this.

• emiliem,
    try to lower the “maximum font percentage”. Change the “maximum font percentage” and “minimum font percentage” – but not together. After a little trial and error, you will find something you like! :D

• Sanjidabd-
    Your tip was the best! Thank you so much! M setegory cloud is super cool now!

:)

• emiliem,
    thanks so much for thanking me! i am glad it’s looking good now! :D

• The topic ‘I don’t like clouds’ is closed to new replies.