How do I switch gallery out of carosel view

• Great idea the carousel, but I too, would like to opt out. I’ve included lots of comments on each of my photos, and I’m not sure people know to click on the permalink to view my comments. Do you think an opt out option will be added? I sure hope so, but again, I can see where for some bloggers this is a great idea. Thanks!

• I’d also like to say that the new gallery should have been optional rather than imposing it on everyone. I don’t like the way the white arrows are displayed over the “edge” of the prev/next image. They disappear on white images. The presence of the “edges” is distracting to the viewer (that’s why art galleries around the world don’t hang paintings too close together because this destroys the viewing pleasure by introducing “noise”). WordPress needs to get some artists on staff to give them advice on such matters.

• It’s not intuitive or obvious that users have to click that Permalink to get back to the original attachment page with comments or information that users may have added there.
    As already stated above and elsewhere, that information has become invisible with the change. It would be much better to simply make the Carousel an option or the default for those Galleries that link to images rather than attachment pages.

• Also, the comments do NOT show after clicking the permalink. It’s just the photo in bigger.
    As for comments becoming visible in the new gallery format: it only shows when I type the description in the “caption” – I’ve always used “title” for that so far. So either I change that for all my blog entries and photos, or I have to live without comments for my older entries.
    Moreover, I don’t like the caption in so far as it shows on the main page below the pictures. I want the comments to show for people interested in the photos, i.e. when they actually open the gallery.
    The argument with the internet connection is another thing that I agree to, it takes so much longer to load.
    I don’t like the way this new feature has been imposed on everyone without even letting us know beforehand. It’s really annoying that I might have to change everything because of that (especially since my blog IS mostly concerned with photos and galleries).

• The carousel should be an option, as it’s currently daft to have it imposed as default.

• Hopefully WordPress will add the opt out option rapidly. In the meantime, I used this work around. I’ve added the below phrase to every page where I have a photo gallery where I painstakingly added lots of info to the photo description that no one will ever see now ;-( :

<h3>More information</h3>
    For more detailed information on each book, click on “permalink” while viewing the photo carousel.

http://jimmorrisonsparis.com/

• I still need an answer to the problem which is – in the carousel view my pictures are reduced to about 30% of their original size, the descriptive information is gone, the carousel takes much longer to load and my readers are going to be confused by the permalink button.

I would like to hear from other bloggers who are having issues with this new viewer.

• I just thought of this, if WordPress could change “permalink” to “more information”, then I think people would understand to click on that in order to get to the photo description. Of course, the opt out solution is best, but in the meantime, maybe WP could make that change in the text. It’s much more clear.

• Gallery is now just a variation of Slideshow. I did not use Slideshow because I did not like it. It shrinks images to fit in a tiny box with big black border. Shrinking is ok for some images but it’s not for many. The black border is a waste of good canvas. If WordPress are so hot on launching the changes they just made to Gallery, why not apply them to Slideshow instead? I digress…

Permalink and Esc are silly names for the functions they perform. They don’t even look like links. “Normal” people won’t know what they mean.

WordPress haven’t removed the old Gallery interface. It is just hidden until you click on Permalink (which no one will do). To implement the opt out option should be a piece of cake since all the PHP code has to do is bypass the new stuff and go straight to the view presented on the Permalink. Please give us an option to bypass this new Gallery look.

• This new carousel-gallery is really bad! I don´t want it! Users have to have an option to switch this thing out.

• i dislike the carousel also. it should give you the ‘opt out’ option. how many people are going to even know what a permalink is?

• I am also very astonished about this changing. It’s too bad and clicking the permalink is no solution. I want control about my blog back.

• Please , How disable the carousel view ??????????????

• @femalemuscleart-If you’ve read through this entire thread, you’ll have seen the Staff reply that says we cannot disable the Carousel.

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/how-do-i-switch-gallery-out-of-carosel-view#post-739969

• The only thing I dislike more than the new carousel format is it’s arbitrary imposition on WordPress users. Who conducts a business in this manner? The carousel view is unattractive. I can’t imagine a worse backdrop for my artwork. Adding a click, and a badly named one, in order to find important information is a huge step backwards. I’m trying to sell original artwork. It is now much more difficult for potential clients to view my artwork and readily find the key information.

• Help! I hate the carousel view! How can I switch it off? I didn’t opt in I want it changed back asap.

• This unexpected change is NOT an improvement.

• Is one solution to pay for an upgrade and use a slideshow plugin? I’m assuming I need to upgrade from free so that I CAN use plugins.

• @uustudiocity
    There is no FTP access to free hosted WordPress.COM blogs and we cannot install individual plugins into them Those found on the internet are for WordPress.ORG installs which run on different software.
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/ftp-access/
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/plugins/

There is no such thing as an upgrade that enables plugin use of free hosted WordPress.com blogs. If you wish to have complete control over a blog, then your option is to hire a web host and get a free software install from WordPress.ORG and self host it. http://en.support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/ Then you can export your content out of your free hosted WordPress.com blog and into your new WordPress.org install.
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/export/

Import a Website

• The topic ‘How do I switch gallery out of carosel view’ is closed to new replies.