• I setup Google Authenticator on a phone that I have now sold

I tried to login today with new phone – Google Authenticator not setup

So, how do I setup?
    I can’t see any options anywhere

Originally I scanned a code from the screen and setup was fairly painless

Thanks

Omar

• Hi Omar,

Because the Google Authenticator app can’t automatically switch your information over when you get a new phone, you’ll need to start by disabling two-step authentication on your WordPress.com account. Then you can enable it again with the app on your new phone.

We have a guide for enabling and disabling two-step authentication here: Two Step Authentication

• Rachel,

The link in your reply to Omar leads to a page not found error. I have the same problem.

Regards,

Roger

• guys, i didn’t have a chance to reply
    this whole system is super silly and doesn’t work – needs more thought how to make work

u can only disable if u have your emergency backup codes
    what if u don’t have this immediately available?

in that case, u are stuck forever – as far as i can see, no other way of getting back in

recently, i have been using my mobile to get sms codes to get in. the problem with this is that the code sent to the sms, doesn’t work to disable + if u need a second sms alert, then these AREN’T sent

i love wordpress – so my feedback is only meant to help :)

• + if u need a second sms alert, then these AREN’T sent

If this is true then it’s a serious bug.

• @omarlearning – You can try transferring Google Authenticator to your new phone through the settings in your Google account – https://www.google.com/settings/security.

Under 2-step verification, click “Settings” and there will be an option to move it to a new phone.

After everything is set up. In the Google security settings page, under App passwords, click the settings link. Look for your old phone that would be listed and revoke access since you sold your old phone.

Let me know if this helps.

• @daphnec2002, that sounds interesting – but a little more complex

i’m sure i’d be ok with it :)

but things needs to be ultra simple and not for the reserve of the few intellect
    google authentication is brilliant – but not intuitive

but are you sure it works?, that’s the other really important thing!

• I don’t think daphne’s solution will help me. I don’t have 2-step verification set up on google—only on WordPress. It’s not an area with which I wish to experiment.

Hopefully our Happiness Engineer will chime in again soon.

• Hi there,

Sorry about that bad link! It should have been this: Two Step Authentication

the problem with this is that the code sent to the sms, doesn’t work to disable + if u need a second sms alert, then these AREN’T sent

I’m checking with my team about why that second SMS code isn’t sent when you try to disable two step authentication. In the meantime, you can visit your security settings page and generate a new list of backup codes. Then, you can use one of those codes to disable it on your account. That method will work in the meantime while we look into the SMS issue. Thanks for reporting it!

• The topic ‘How do I setup Google Authenticator on a new phone’ is closed to new replies.