How do I import my Tumblr to WordPress?

• I also noticed this bug. Thanks for mentioning it ccmcgregor!

• @dllh first, thanks a lot for trying to fix this. Is there any news yet on the tumblr importer for wordpress.org yet? I cannot find any info on http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/tumblr-importer. (sorry for the impatience;-) thanks.

• @estherv alas, it’s stalled. There are some issues with getting logged in properly to Tumblr to use the plugin. I’ve chatted with the original plugin maintainer about it, and he’s had no luck. I’m hoping to find some time to see if I can lend a hand, but it’s lower priority for the moment than some other things.

As a stopgap, you could try importing into a wordpress.com blog, then exporting from there and importing to your .org.

• @dllh, thanks a lot for your swift reply! I will try to export it from .com info my .org. I guess I will find some documentation on how to do that :-) many thanks again and good luck.

• Once you’ve imported into .com via the Tools -> Import menu, just go to Tools -> Export. That’ll generate a file that you can import into your .org blog via the Tools -> Import menu there. If you don’t already have it, you’ll need to install the WordPress importer (available here on your .org blog before importing there.

• @dllh I just tried that approach a couple weeks ago, and it worked well all but for attachments. Attachments did seem to get pulled into the WordPress.com import, but when I exported for my WordPress.org install, attachments didn’t come along for the ride.

• @dllh – any luck getting the extra data with ‘Link’ and ‘Gallery’ posts imported? Just tried again this morning and it’s still missing the additional fields on import. Thanks.

• @ccmcgregor not yet, alas. This thread is copied on the bug report, though, so there should be an update here when it lands. I’m sorry about the delay.

• @dllh no worries, thanks for the update.

• Thanks for the update.

• Caption and description data for photo and link type posts should import now. Thanks for your patience!

• @dllh – great, just tested it and it works fine. Many thanks!

• Great, thanks for following up!

This fix will be in the new .org Tumblr importer too, by the way, which we’re hoping will ship in the next couple of weeks.

• Howdy
    The updated plugin works great! The only issue I can tell is that images are made in to galleries when they post. This happens even if it’s just a single image…is there anyway to change that?
    Thanks for all of your hard work!

• Sorry, my comment wasn’t very accurate. What I meant to say is that instead of embedding the full-size image, it displays a thumbnail. I click the image, and it takes me to the post (where the thumb is displayed) and then I click the image again and this time it shows the full thing. The old importer just replicated the original post with the original size of the image…Anyway, thanks for your help!

• Hi folks, my question is the same as @belowthewaste.

Would love to not have each post come in as a gallery thumbnail — any workaround?

• @belowthewaste, @rachaelrice I’ve just checked the older version of the .org Tumblr plugin, and it appears that it did use the gallery shortcode before the updated version was released, at least if the post format imported from Tumblr was a gallery format. So I’m not sure what difference has appeared here. At any rate, I think the core importer will probably continue to insert galleries unless there’s a great demand for some change. It’s written such that a plugin could alter the behavior too, if I recall correctly.

• @dllh before the update it copied the tumblr post exactly. for example: when single-image posts were imported the post would appear in wp as just the image at the same full size of the tumblr post, and the image links. Now when importing the image shown in the post is a thumbnail. when the thumbnail is clicked it links to the attachment page, and then click the picture again to view the full original size. I understand that this would be effective for actual galleries but for single image posts it’s just messy and inefficient. I wasn’t using a plugin before the update if that’s what you are suggesting. Thanks for your help, at any rate

• @belowthewaste, what blog? I’m seeing only a Jetpack-enabled blog associated with your username for wordpress.com. Do you have another here at wordpress.com?

• The topic ‘How do I import my Tumblr to WordPress?’ is closed to new replies.