How can I change the background image in Vintage Camera theme?

• It doesn’t say that I need premium to do this, but every time I try to change it from the default grey to a custom image, the change doesn’t go through. I click ‘save changes and publish’, but it seems to take forever for the save to happen, and it never publishes the change. I’ve refreshed my browser, cleared cache and cookies, reset my computer and router, and have tried other browsers (I’m currently using Google Chrome), but nothing works. Please help.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Right now you’re previewing the custom design features in your site’s Customizer. To save your changes there, you’ll need to either exit that preview or purchase the Premium plan (to keep those custom design features).

You can do that in your customizer, in the “Colors & Backgrounds” section there. At the top of that section you’ll see this message:

This feature is a part of the Premium Plan. Purchase to make it live or exit the preview.

You can click one of those links (depending on if you want to upgrade to that plan or not). If you don’t want to upgrade, once you exit the preview you’ll be able to save the other changes you’ve made in the customizer there.

Please let me know if you have any questions about that. :)

• Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I appreciate it.
    I specifically chose the Vintage Camera theme because it doesn’t have that message when I select the change background option. I understand that it appears on many of the themes, but on a select few, it doesn’t, which led me to believe that I didn’t need premium to change the background on those themes. Am I mistaken, doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the theme?

• Here’s what I see when I edit the theme.
    However, when I click “save and publish”, the changes don’t seem to go through, as I am left with the default gray background.

• rachelmcr could you please clarify whether the free Vintage Camera theme includes Custom Background as a free feature, or whether users have to pay to use this feature?

Is there a way for the OP to find a free theme which allows Custom Background without purchasing Premium? I use iTheme2, but sadly it’s been retired.

This link shows about 305 “Custom Background WordPress Themes”:

https://theme.wordpress.com/themes/features/custom-background/

If you click on Free at the right of the page, the number is reduced to about 166:

https://theme.wordpress.com/themes/features/custom-background/?sort=free

Vintage Camera shows up in this list, so is it free to use Custom Background? Is there some way of telling whether the advertised features of “free” themes are really free or require purchasing Premium? The blurb for Vintage Camera is here:

https://theme.wordpress.com/themes/vintage-camera/

It lists Custom Background as a feature, but doesn’t say anything about having to buy Premium to use it. Is this a bug, an oversight, or what?

Anyone have a list of non-retired free themes that let you use Custom Background without buying Premium? Thanks.

• @ azipanda,

How can I change the background image in Vintage Camera theme?
    It doesn’t say that I need premium to do this, but every time I try to change it from the default grey to a custom image, the change doesn’t go through.

I specifically chose the Vintage Camera theme because it doesn’t have that message when I select the change background option.

I’m unaware of any theme which requires purchase of a premium plan in order to add a custom background. The Vintage Camera theme does not require purchase of a premium plan in order to choose a custom background image or background color. According to a test I ran, if you choose a background image and a background color, only the image will be applied.

I added a custom background image and chosen a background color at Appearance > Background, but you should be able to do both at Appearance > Customize as well (Appearance > Customize > Background for background, and Appearance > Customize > Color > for background color). If it fails at Customize, try it a the classic Background page. Yours is https://pandasanonymous.wordpress.com/wp-admin/themes.php?page=custom-background.

• That did it. Thank you so much!

• You’re very welcome. Glad to help. : )

• Hi there,

When you’re previewing the Custom Design features in the customizer, changes you save in the customizer won’t go live until you either purchase the Premium plan (to use the custom design features live on your site) or exit the preview. That includes changes you make, like adding a custom background, that you’ll still be able to do after you exit the preview. (You don’t have to have the Premium plan to set a custom background, but in most cases you’ll have to exit the preview to save the custom background and make it live.)

• The topic ‘How can I change the background image in Vintage Camera theme?’ is closed to new replies.