Hotlinked Images In The Image Block Shrinking Very Small On Twenty Eleven?

• Hello,

For almost two weeks now in the Twenty Eleven theme, I have been having an issue where when I add a hotlinked image (Wikimedia Commons, Wikipedia, YouTube, Fandom, et cetera) in the Image Block, it shows up very small regardless of the actual size of the image or the size settings in the image block options.

The image will show up normally on a preview or when you post it usually, but just not in the editor.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I am on Windows 11 Home desktop, Microsoft Edge (balanced tracking setting & balanced enhanced security setting), with & without AdGuard VPN, with & without AdGuard For Windows, with & without AdGuard DNS & it even happens with Quad9 DNS, and it happens even with all my web browser extensions disabled.

Screenshot:

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hey there,

Many thanks for reaching out – that sure is strange behaviour.

Can you tell me if this happens with any other browser or if this is Chrome specific?

• You are welcome, Aleone89, and thank you for responding; this is indeed strange behavior, and has been the most difficult issue to troubleshoot this year so far.

Yesterday, I did a test at my local library from a different computer & different internet & PCLinuxOS instead of Window 11 on Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox & Microsoft Edge no extensions et cetera.

I opened one post, the issue only happened on Microsoft Edge out of those three browsers on that post, I did not test more posts this time, it happens more than 90% of the time, but sometimes if you refresh it will work but then stop when you come back into the post or another post.

After trying that one post, I decided to reduce Microsoft Edge’s Tracking Setting down to Basic instead of Balanced, that did not work.

I then tried to change the Enhanced Security Setting down to Basic instead of Balanced, that worked, I opened another post, and that one worked; so I assumed that I had figured it out.

When I got home and tried the same thing on Microsoft Edge on Windows 11, that did not work, so maybe it was just one of those rare moments when it briefly works after a refresh & one other try.

Since that did not work, the next thing I am going to try in Microsoft Edge, is to find & disable a setting that is supposed to enhance images, perhaps that is causing the problem, I am not sure; I will test that today.

So far, I have only had this issue on WordPress.com, and it only started about two weeks ago; I had been using Twenty Eleven for about a week before that with no problem in Microsoft Edge.

• Okay, I just did a test, I disabled the Enhance Images Setting in Microsoft Edge.

I refreshed the post that I had opened in my browser, I clicked to edit the post, the issue still happened, I refreshed the page while still in the editor, and the image returned to normal.

I went back to my home page, refreshed, clicked on a post, went into the editor, the issue still happened, refreshed the editor and the image went back to normal.

So something weird is going on.

I forgot to mention that I checked my Media Settings in WordPress.com to make sure that my image sizes were still set on the old defaults, I deleted them to see if the defaults would return, the one for thumbnail did but the medium & large sizes have no size set now; the old or that new setup did not fix the issue.

The refresh trick does not always work, when making a new post, I think that I have tried it, without luck on multiple times.

The refresh just briefly sometimes works perhaps, but if you exit the editor & come back, it will normally return to messing up.

I tried making sure that my zoom was set to normal, but that is not the issue.

In the editor I have tried clicking on the image block & clicking 100% et cetera, that just makes it squash into oblivion, and reset just returns it to the shrunken state.

• I tested a few different things and I noticed that this specifically seems to happen as long as the following two are true:

• image block is centered
    • image block has a caption

It seems like this affects both hotlinked images and also images in the Media library.

Side note – for some media it’s worth occasionally copying the image to your Media library rather than hotlinking; while sites like Wikimedia Commons explicitly allow it, some sites will replace a hotlinked image with a “please don’t” banner.

In general though, this isn’t theme-specific per my tests. I have a sneaking suspicion it came in with a recent update to the editor from around Jan 18th. I’ve reported it to the relevant team, so now they’ll need to look into it; I don’t have any sort of timeline for when a fix would come through however!

What you could do in the meantime is add a simple line below the image to act as a caption instead of the default caption function, if you’d rather that the centered images don’t appear tiny while editing!

• Wow! Amazing, I thought about that, but I assumed that someone else would have noticed that by now; I thought that surely, I am not the only person on WordPress.com who uses centered images with captions on my posts, so I ignored that possibility. :D

You did some impressive troubleshooting there, thank you very much, staff-95percentghost.

Yeah, that is why I try to use images from sources that allow hotlinking. ;)

Thanks, I might try that in the situations where it is so small that I cannot click to bring up the caption option.

Have a great day,

• John Jr
  • You are most welcome! It’s a bit of a weird one, but I think there might be a work-around for the time being. I noticed that if an image had a caption (and was therefore tiny), then if I go back into the editor, deactivate and then reactivate the caption button, and re-add a caption, after saving and reloading then the image seems to be the correct size once more in the editor.

It is a bit of extra work though; with any luck this shouldn’t be necessary in the future. If there are times when the image is so small you find you can’t even click it, I do have another suggestion: the List View (linked here) in the editor provides an overview of what blocks are on the page; you can click on any block in the list view to select it too, which should hopefully make things a little easier!

• Hello Staff-95percentghost,

Cool! Thank you, I have only used List View when I was trying to figure out why the Search Widget was not working on the Pendant theme once, so thanks for reminding me of its existence. :D

Thanks for sharing those workarounds, it makes troubleshooting seem easy, you are on another level, it is inspiring; especially for someone like me who also works in IT. ;)

Have a good day :),

• John Jr
  • Is it just me, or do my last two dream posts that used centered hotlinked Wikimedia Media Commons images with captions on the Twenty Eleven theme, look left aligned or unaligned instead of centered?

A Forminator Form | A College Fire | Learning Sign Language From A Nun:

A Forminator Form | A College Fire | Learning Sign Language From A Nun

My Weird Reflection In A Mirror | Forgetting My Pillow By The Museum:

My Weird Reflection In A Mirror | Forgetting My Pillow By The Museum
  • I fully see what you mean; I don’t think it’s due to the images being hotlinked, but there haven’t been any updates installed within the last few days which would cause this. Just out of curiosity, does this also resolve itself if you edit the post(s) to deactivate the captions and then re-add them?

I’m wondering if this particular issue might be related to Twenty Eleven on the other hand; I tried previewing Independent Publisher 2 and that seemed to show them ok!

• Hello Staff-95percentghost, thank you for replying.

I just went in to edit one of those posts, I removed the captions, added them again, saved, and looked at the updated post; and it is still the same.

So maybe it is a Twenty Eleven issue that just started for some reason.

• So maybe it is a Twenty Eleven issue that just started for some reason.

I think it is, the effect seems to vary every time I try, but it does seem to be linked to Twenty Eleven and not other themes. I sent in a report for that too; I do see that you’ve switched to another theme now and the images look correctly centered!

• Hello Staff-95percentghost, I did not know that you had responded, either I did not get a notification, or I accidentally deleted it.

Thank you, yeah, I decided to try the Twenty Twenty theme again, and the Center bug did not happen to it; the shrinking bug happened still, of course.

I just switched back to Twenty Eleven, if only the best parts of those two themes could be combined into one theme, or if only Twenty Eleven could get a few updates, then it would almost be the perfect theme; or if only Twenty Twenty had header images, a site logo option that does not replace the blog title, if post titles were not so hug, if the tagline showed on mobile view, et cetera.

Or if only more themes had a built-in search option and if the new full site editing themes had better defaults like said two themes; so that you do not have to spend hours trying to struggle to customize them with the new confusing scattered full site theme editor whatever. ;) :D

• The topic ‘Hotlinked Images In The Image Block Shrinking Very Small On Twenty Eleven?’ is closed to new replies.