Hostagtor and new domain

• Hello,

I registered a new domain on Hostgator and I also paid the fee on WordPress.com for existing domain. I did everything on my domain and contacted Hostgator and they say everything is ok from their side ans with DNS but I still cannot connect it to WordPress.com. I added a domain (www.squaremileofstyle.com) and it’s there but when i tranfer and open it, it leads me to hostgator saying that DNS is not right but we alreday tried everything on Hostgator. Help please!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hello,
    It takes a while for domain name changes to make their way through to all DNS servers.
    Right now, when I visit squaremileofstyle.com, it does get me to your http://squaremileofstyle.wordpress.com/ site, so that’s good.

Is this still giving you troubles?

• Yes, now we can’t get our emails fetched. We contacted HostGator crew and did everything that could be done there, but they also told us to tell you this:

“Request of WordPress.com to add an MX record for mail.squaremileofstyle.com”

so we could be able to fetch our email. could you do this?

Thanks

• Hello,
    You’re so close!

I cannot personally do this for you — most of us on the forums are just volunteer WP users helping each other out.

However, you can do this yourself. There is a DNS tool you can use to add this MX record yourself.

Please see the following, and shout if you run in to troubles.
    https://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/custom-dns/

Paul

• Unfortunately I can’t add MX record myself as it won’t save the changes for any MX record i make. It just says “an error occured etc etc etc”… i’m far more than disappointed with what wordpress is offering. clear mess and no one to contact. shame.

if anyone from wordpress reads this i hope they add my mx record:

MX mail.squaremileofstyle.com 108.167.140.121 0

• Hello again,
    I’m sorry this is still not worked out for you — I’m sure you want things to get back to normal with your email! In case you haven’t done it this way yet, please try adding your MX record like this:

1. Go back to the “My Domains” page and click “Edit Domain” to get to the domain management screen.
    2. Click “Edit DNS” on the left to see your current DNS setup.
    3. Under “Add New DNS Record,” make sure to do the following:
    a. Choose “MX” from the popup on the left.
    b. Enter “squaremileofstyle.com” in the first textbox.
    c. Enter “mail.squaremileofstyle.com” in the next textbox — after “handled by.”
    d. Enter “0” in the next textbox — after “with priority.”
    e. Finally, click “Add.”

Please try these steps exactly, and let me know of any error messages that occur, or of your success!

Thanks,
    Paul

• this is exactly what happens no matter how many times and when i do the steps you told me (i already knew and tried them days before):

“An error occured while trying to process your request. Please try again or Contact Support if you continue to have trouble.”

………..really don’t understand the customer care here, but please, wordpress team, add this or let me save my changes.

• Hello,

I have flagged this issue for staff with more permissions to try helping you out. I would have done that earlier, but it looked like the MX record you were trying to add was not exactly right.

In the steps I most recently posted above, steps (3b) and (3c) differ slightly from the line you posted.
    (MX mail.squaremileofstyle.com 108.167.140.121 0)

While a moderator with more account permissions should have a look at your problem soon, please consider following my above steps one last time, if you haven’t done them exactly. I think steps 3b and 3c may be the key.

Again, sorry this has taken so long for you to get resolved.

Thank you,
    Paul

• I’ve saved that for you. Take a look and see:

A. If it saved.

&

B. If it looks correct.

• The topic ‘Hostagtor and new domain’ is closed to new replies.