Help Migrating WordPress.com site to GoDaddy WordPress Managed site

• When I try to migrate a WordPress.com website to GoDaddy Managed WordPress hosting, I get the following notification: “Your website is not compatible for migration” GoDaddy technicians said it is because the website is hosted by Automattic Inc. What do I need to do to make migration compatible?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there!

I’m not familiar with how GoDaddy’s migration system works, but since your site is not plugin-enabled, the best method for migrating your site is to follow this:

1. Make sure a new WordPress site is set up on GoDaddy servers.
    2. Follow the steps here to download an export file from your WordPress.com site. https://wordpress.com/en/support/export/
    3. Use the exported file to import on the WordPress site hosted on GoDaddy servers. Before starting the import, make sure to choose “Download attachments.” You’ll see it on the import page inside the WordPress dashboard.
    4. After the import is completed, you’ll see all content (posts, pages, media files, comments) migrated from your WordPress.com site.

As you may have guessed, you’ll need to set up the theme and any customizations you want to do manually. Migrating the site exactly as-is can be done with a plugin only, which is available with the WordPress.com Business plan or higher.

Having said that, would you mind telling us what led you to migrate your site away from WordPress.com? Feel free to let us know if there’s anything we can help you with.

Thanks!

• The topic ‘Help Migrating WordPress.com site to GoDaddy WordPress Managed site’ is closed to new replies.