Google Results Show Categories Instead of Posts

• yes, for the most of VIPs.

check up GigaOM (several blogs network), CNN, LOLcats and other VIP regulars in the BOTD list.

• Best option?

WP.com should implement a basic robot meta tag to their tag cloud pages:
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow" />

Why? It tells Google not to index those individual tag pages (which amounts to nothing more than “search results”*), however, to continue following the individual links and assigning those bloggers credit for their work.

Of course, WP.com may have ulterior motives for having their tag clouds ranking well in the SERPs.

* Google doesn’t like to index and display “search results” pages in their own search results (it’s redundant). Many have speculated that it’s part of the reason why you can no longer find Technorati tag pages being returned in Google searches. WP.com may be heading down a similar road if they step out of Google’s good graces, even by an inch.

-KB

• WP.com may have ulterior motives for having their tag clouds ranking well in the SERPs.

I don’t think there’s any ‘may’ about it. Those pages show ads to people coming in from Google.

The VIP cats / tags go local?

As VIPs can execute PHP, they can replace the default the_category with another function of their own making. I doubt that’s what happening here, though. They probably just asked for their post categories to be fixed and got their way because they are Special. Strictly speaking that’s against the VIP terms of service, but if somebody’s paying you premium prices for a premium service you’re not really in a position to say ‘no, ’cause actually we need those links for adsense dollars’. The VIP is worth more to you than the ads.

• Options and I aren’t in disagreement about the way things work, just about whether or not I’m an Automattic fanboy. And I am just too selfish: I’m all about what works for me. So far, this is working.

What I see is that if I blog about (for instance) camel cheese and use a camel cheese tag, the front page of google features five links to my blog on a search for the term camel cheese. If I don’t, it features four. I look at this as good, but that’s a matter of opinion.

And yes, if there’s a splog with a huge pagerank that links to my blog, it’ll outrank me. That’s how the bigfooting process works. See what happens when BoingBoing links to you, and who ranks where in searches.

This is also why I generally don’t bother killing splogs, even though most don’t outrank me. It’s a link.

• The tag pages drive hundreds of thousands of pageviews to bloggers they would not get otherwise.

options, et al, please save the paranoid conspiracy theories for your own blog. Don’t pollute our forums. Closing this thread.

• The topic ‘Google Results Show Categories Instead of Posts’ is closed to new replies.