GOOGLE AD ABUSE

• When I used the old Fusion format Google’s ads were never a problem. The ads were unintrusive and the size was in balance with my content. Now, with the new format Google is literally stepping all over my blog with over-sized ads. How can I stop this abuse?

WP.com: Yes
    Jetpack: No
    Correct account: Yes

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• You can’t use Google Ads on a free wordpress.com site. So what site are you talking about?

WordPress.com shows ads on free wordpress.com sites to keep your free site for free. If you don’t like ads on your free site, the only solutions is to upgrade to a paid plan, https://wordpress.com/pricing/

• staartmees: Look at my site, it has big Google ads all over it and they’re not mine. I assume that WordPress allows ads on its free site for their own revenue, and that’s fine by me. I assume they’ve been doing this all along on my earlier site & theme. The problem is with this new theme. Google ads are all over it and they’re too big in relation to my content. On some of my posts they insert over-sized ads in between paragraphs which disrupt the text. Historically, they would insert small ads that way, and that was fine, no problem. But this current situation is ridiculous. Something needs to change.

• I made a reply but I don’t see anything.

• @jimmwest, sometimes your responses can take a moment to appear. Can you confirm which site you’re referring to?

• supernova: maybe it’s just something I need to get used to. I used the Fusion theme for 10 years and I switched on Tuesday. Under the old theme the ads were never as big or as intrusive as they are now. I’m just not used to it. Some of the adds that appear beneath the header stretch from one side of the page to the other. I don’t understand why the ad needs to be that big. And these very large ads are also inserted in my posts, between paragraphs in my articles. Some of them are redundant, repeating the same advertisement and disrupting the text. Again, I’ve never had to deal with this before until this week.

• Hi @jimmwest – I’m seeing EXACTLY the same thing. Started in the last week. Four times the number of ads I used to see and a huge one the same size as my banner picture at the top as well. I’m trying to get an answer about whether this is an intentional change on my thread over here: https://wordpress.com/forums/topic/more-ads-than-normal/

I’ll keep an eye on this thread too.

• @moraghughson: It’s not just me then, that’s more insight on the situation. Thank you.

• I already updated @moraghughson’s thread, but here’s what we’ve found: the ads team was able to confirm they are currently iterating on the way ads display. You may see more ads than usual. If they are breaking the layout of your site, please let us know, and get a screenshot and page link where you had the issue, if possible. You can upload it to https://wordpress.com/media and update us here with a link to the page where you saw that.

You’re also welcome to share feedback, too: just keep it focused on the issue you’re running into / how it’s impacting you. Thanks!

• @supernovia: Okay, thank you. I can see where these ads would appear big on my phone. But these ads are big & fat on my pc browser with a 13 inch wide screen.

• @supernovia: again is this my site. https://ogdoas.wordpress.com/ Here’s a picture of a huge, over-sized add across the top. Something half that size would suffice and I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I just think this is too big & historically this was never an issue.

• @staff-mckluskey @supernovia

This pops and blocks up and blocks me when I try to access My Site. Again, I’ve never had to deal with anything like this before.

• Here again is another example, blocking my way to “My Site”. This does not encourage me to take an interest in this product. This form of advertising is negative, like telemarketing. Telemarketing is a turn-off. This is a turn-off, it’s a nuisance.

• Hi @jimmwest

Thank you for your feedback and the screenshots, which are really helpful for us to pass along to the ads team. While I don’t have an ETA, rest assured the team is taking your feedback as they iterate.

• The topic ‘GOOGLE AD ABUSE’ is closed to new replies.