Fraudulent WordPress Email

• I received an email from help@wordpress.com regarding my domain expiration. This looked entirely legit and was not – it apparently took me to a fake WordPress page and attempted to clear my entire bank account when I entered my debit card information. I can provide a screenshot of the email; it looks exactly like every other WordPress email I have ever received and included accurate information regarding my domain expiration.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Could you upload a screenshot of this email to your media library? Also, could you copy and paste the URL of the site the email was trying to take you to?

• It should already be there – is there a way for me to paste it into a comment? Haven’t used the forums in a long time.

This is the website it lead me to: https://midnightchorus.wordpress.com/wp-admin/paid-upgrades.php?product=1003&upgrade=1&view=purchase&ref=bundle-upsell

It looks exactly like any other tab in my dashboard…

• Hi there,

That’s actually an email from WordPress.com (not fraud). That link you posted just goes to the bundle upgrade page. Basically, since you already own an upgrade within the Premium bundle, it’s offering you the bundle at a reduced price (was $79 when the email was sent). Now, you should be offered the Premium bundle for $89 instead of the normal $99.

However, if you click the “Renew onlyfragments.com”, you should be able to renew just the domain. Can you give that a try?

• I entered my debit card information twice – and twice I was told the card was denied. I was then called by my bank and told a website twice tried to clear my entire account. The website was a string of letters but started with WP. I was told this site was flagged as fraudulent. So if it wasn’t a spam email, then at the very least there’s a leak in WordPress’ security that is allowing this site to filter off customer information.

• Unfortunately, I’ve had to cancel my debit card so can’t even try to renew the domain from a safe link for at least a week or more. :\

• Hi!

I went ahead and reached out to you via private email to continue this convo. Please keep all additional conversation there!

• The topic ‘Fraudulent WordPress Email’ is closed to new replies.