Files Not Uploading

• Hi everyone,

I am having trouble uploading files. I started noticing this yesterday when I was trying to upload a pdf file to a new blog I just started – pdfloop.wordpress.com

I keep getting this message – “1 file could not be uploaded because an error occurred while uploading.”

At first I thought maybe my pdf file size might be too big, but if I remember right, you can upload files up to 1gb in size. My pdf file is 173mb (contains pictures).

Then I thought maybe it’s just that new blog. So I went to another blog I currently have (foggywalks.wordpress.com), tried uploading there, and I was getting the same upload error multiple times.

So I went to my main website (www.ddavidd.com) and I’m getting the same error there. On that site today I decided to try uploading a photo to see if there is something file specific causing the error. I was able to successfully upload 2 photos, however I continue getting the upload error when trying to upload my pdf file. I also tried uploading a mp3 file just to test that, and also got the upload error.

With all of these upload attempts of different file types, I’ve determined at least that this is not a blog specific issue since I’m getting the upload error across multiple sites.

Is there something going on with the servers this weekend, or perhaps my account in general maybe? I’ve had this account since 2014 and don’t ever really remember having so many problems uploading files before.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there!

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with that. I see you’ve done a lot of testing already; what was the size of the two images you were able to upload, and what was the size of that mp3 file that failed? Also, what’s the upload speed of your internet connection?

• Hey again. So not really sure about the file size of the two pictures. They were some I downloaded from Unsplash awhile back… probably 3 to 5 mb. I didn’t even lookand then I deleted them after the trial upload. The mp3 was 26 mb. The pdf originally was 214mb, but I compressed it down to 173mb. After several more tries since my last message, that pdf file finally went through and uploaded. It can be found at pdfpool.wordpress.com

My internet speed is another question I can’t give an exact answer to. I use my mobile hotspot on my T-mobile 5G phone. Typically I get good signal and don’t have problems, but since you asked that question, I’m wondering if my phone may have been been having some issues. I guess I’ll just have to check my signal next time I have any issues. This may be operator malfunction on my part. Sorry if I wasted your time.

• Sorry I gave wrong address. It’s pdfloop.wordpress.com

I don’t know what I was thinking.

• Hi there,

Do you have any issues uploading media if you switch to a traditional wifi connection?

Mobile hot spots can suffer from speed and latency issues. For smaller files (a few MB) you would not notice, but it would be an issue with the larger uploads you are describing since they are uploaded (bit by bit) over a longer period if time, which increases the opportunity for errors if the connection is at all shaky.

Thanks for the additional info!

• Do you have any issues uploading media if you switch to a traditional wifi connection?

Unfortunately I don’t have access to a standard internet connection.

• Hi there,

At this point your internet connection is the most likely cause. Are you perhaps able to try using wifi at a library or coffee shop, just to confirm that?

You can also try completely restarting your phone – doing that will clear the phone’s local connection cache, which can sometimes cause issues like this.

Another option is your browser, so also try clearing the browser’s cache or try another browser, and see if the upload works then.

https://wordpress.com/en/support/browser-issues/

So not really sure about the file size of the two pictures. They were some I downloaded from Unsplash awhile back… probably 3 to 5 mb.

I just want to note that’s pretty massive for pictures to use on the web. Even without any upload issues, I’d recommend you try to slim those down a bit – most themes typically display images no larger than 1200 pixels wide (most computer screens will only show up to 1500 pixels wide), so uploading any image bigger than that is just wasting storage space. If you resize the images to 1500px or under, it should bring the filesize down to well below 1MB. You can then use a tool like JPEGMini to further trim down the file size without losing image quality.

This is referred to as image optimization, and can save you a ton of space in the media library in the long run, so please consider doing that :)

https://wordpress.com/en/support/media/image-optimization/

• The topic ‘Files Not Uploading’ is closed to new replies.