Embedded Audio Player Not Functioning

• No need to let us know if you have the same problem. We’re aware that it’s affecting any blog with embedded .mp3 files when the viewer is using either Chrome or Firefox.

The issue has been reported to our developers, and we’ll let you know in this thread when it’s fixed.

• I use Safari, and run on Mac, and I have the issue also.

• Thanks for letting us know!

• We’re aware that it’s affecting any blog with embedded .mp3 files when the viewer is using either Chrome or Firefox.

Opera (last version, 12.14) and Safari (last version too) run on Windows 7…. the same problem. :(

• This is all fixed up now, sorry again for the trouble!

We have had to temporarily disable the Flash player. If your browser does not natively support the type of embedded audio file, you’ll see a download link instead.

You can see a chart depicting supported audio file types by browser at http://en.support.wordpress.com/audio/#adding-audio-files-to-your-blog

• We have had to temporarily disable the Flash player.

temporarily…I hope.

In Opera, Firefox, Chromium (not Chrome, Chromium) I see a download link. :(

• Any idea how “temporary” this is? In Firefox I’m still showing a download link. I suppose some of my readers will be able to use the embedded player, but I’ll feel more confident when it’s working on my browser as well.

Thanks for working on this, as it’s obvious that a lot of us use MP3s on our blogs and we all hope to be back to normal soon.

• Hoping to wake up tomorrow & find this resolved for all browsers. Thanks for working on this, WordPress staff…and happy Easter to you & my fellow bloggers.

• It appears the player using mp3 audio format works on Chrome. I was forced to install chrome to see if the audio player displays & it does only with a different appearance now, which indicates flash is no longer disabled , nevertheless my only conclusion remains the same & that is the support for the player using firefox is no longer available nor is anything less than explorer 10.

Well it certainly appears this is the case if one looks at the support page again.

Working With Audio

• Sorry for the confusion on the chart, IE 9 also supports .mp3 natively. The chart actually covers most versions of each browser.

As for the Flash player, it’s temporarily disabled while we investigate a potential security issue with it.

The browsers’ natively players do not share the same security issue, so as long as you’re viewing an audio file in a browser that supports it, you’ll see a player. If not, you’ll see a download link.

The Flash player will return as soon as we’re confident that the Flash player itself is safe, until then, the folks who are using a browser which does not natively support the embedded format will see a download link instead.

Just to keep the list here, at this time:

Chrome natively supports: .mp3, .m4a, .wav, and .ogg.

Safari natively supports: .mp3, .m4a, .wav, but not .ogg (which will display a download link).

Firefox natively supports: .wav and .ogg, but not .mp3 and .m4a (which will both display a download link).

Opera natively supports: .wav and .ogg, but not .mp3 and .m4a (which will both display a download link).

Internet Explorer natively supports: .mp3, but not .m4a, .wav, and .ogg (which will all display a download link).

What formats a browser chooses to natively support is entirely up to the browser’s developers, we have no control over that.

Until now, we have given the Flash player precedence, fallen back to the browser’s native player when Flash isn’t available, and then fallen back to the Download link when the format is not supported by the browser.

With the Flash player temporarily disabled for security concerns, we are giving the browser’s native player precedence and falling back to the Download link when the format is not supported by the browser.

Whether it’s via an embedded player or a Download link, all of your viewers will be able to play the audio files.

• Here you are giving different information,

This is all fixed up now, sorry again for the trouble!

:

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/audio-google-chrome-and-firefox-not-working?replies=7

That should be taken down, the problem persists.

• @alanbryson

This is all fixed up now, sorry again for the trouble!

and…

We have had to temporarily disable the Flash player. If your browser does not natively support the type of embedded audio file, you’ll see a download link instead.

• It is my interpretation that there is a security issue with the flash player , however I must note, through my own experience the flash player once did work using mp3 format with explorer 8 & Firefox, contrary to the information on the support page now, nevertheless it appears to be a security issue they’re working on by the looks of it, even though a flash player ,different in appearance to the former is still available if one uses chrome which is contrary to what is written in this link :

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/audio-google-chrome-and-firefox-not-working?replies=7

I downloaded Chrome myself because of this issue & a player appears to be present instead of the audio download text, however the player ,using chrome is different looking to the former player & I’m not upgrading windows just to see if it works in explorer 9 or 10.

I guess we will all know for sure when & if this purported security issue relating to the flash player is finally resolved, until then, unfortunately, we will have to play the waiting game by the looks of it .

• Just want to chime in again, since I started this thread. The embedded audio player is working on Safari (on my wife’s Mac) but the download link still appears on Firefox. I will check Internet Explorer and Chrome on my work computer in the morning. I understand based on previous comments as well as the other forum referenced above that there’s a security issue related to Flash player. Does anyone have an estimate on when this might be fixed? Will we be notified in this thread when it’s been resolved?

• Longtime WP user disappointed in this recent development. I blog via Firefox. Having to tell my readers to use certain browsers to get the audio player will hurt page views and time spent on pages.

• For those just tuning in, please re-read this reply: https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/embedded-audio-player-not-functioning?replies=35#post-1202443

The details are covered in the above linked reply. It explains fully why some browsers show a player, and some browsers show a link.

If your viewers do not see a player, they will see a download link.

Whether it’s via a browser’s native player or a Download link, all of your viewers will be able to play the audio files.

No one is being forced or asked to switch browsers.

The Flash audio player has been temporarily disabled due to security concerns. Don’t worry, you’re safe, and we’ll bring it back when we have fully reviewed the security concerns.

• I’ve noticed that while a page loads on Firefox, a player shows up for a fraction of a second before it displays the download link of an mp3. I managed to screencap it. Just curious (if anyone can answer) why this one isn’t being used if it’s there. Clearly it’s different from the player that was used before.

• Yes, please see above.

• En Chrome ya aparece el reproductor Flash (es de diferente aspecto) . En Firefox continúa el problema (aparece el enlace al archivo mp3)

• I hope this issue with Flash gets resolved soon so we can go back to having our MP3’s playing with embedded players on all browsers. It’s functioning properly (for me) on Chrome & Safari but not on Firefox and Internet Explorer.

macmanx, I’m glad this is being worked on, and thanks for your timely feedback.

• The topic ‘Embedded Audio Player Not Functioning’ is closed to new replies.