Email & IP Address showing up in comments

• When someone commented on my post, their email and IP address showed up under their user name. I’m assuming mine does also when I comment. I’ve looked all over to find out how to stop that and I can’t find anything. Is there a way to hide email and IP (especially IP) from being shown?
    Thanks in advance.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Don’t comment.

Whenever you comment, your IP shows up. Mostly but not always when you even LOOK at a page your IP shows up. Either get okay with that, stop surfing the net, or start using TOR.

• It was a legitimate question that didn’t require such a terse answer. I know my IP shows up on sites but they have a privacy policy and TOS that covers that. It’s having it broadcast to individual people that bothers me. At least if a site uses it or discloses it, I can bring legal charges against them.

Perhaps you should take a look at something I found just below this reply box:
    “We love positive and productive discussions, so please keep comments on the topics at hand and not on other members of the community. Thanks!” I believe the same thing is written within the TOR that you want me to use…….

• You do not understand.

Every time you comment, your comment is associated with an IP. If you want to hide an IP, use TOR, although TOR is not foolproof.

That’s the answer. If you don’t like the answer, that’s not my responsibility.

The analogy is, “I want to walk around and look at people, but I don’t want them to see me; okay, use a mask; omg I totally don’t want to walk around wearing a mask; oh well then.”

• I do admit that the part I didn’t understand was “TOR”…I thought you meant the TOS.

But….

I do understand that every time I comment/surf/look at/download/whatever, my IP is out there, but it’s out there “somewhere”. Here, on WP, it is advertised. No other site that I’ve been on has a person’s IP in plain sight to the recipient of any conversation. That’s what I’m getting at. Yes, anyone can use a proxy or a router or even go completely stealth but why should they have to just to make a comment on someone’s blog?

p.s. It’s not the answer I didn’t like, it was and still is the tone. And I know that is not your responsibility either, I’ll own it. But this is a “help” screen on a “support” forum. Just sayin……

• Again, you do not understand.

Your IP is not available for anyone to view. It is available only to the blog owner.

If the blog owner is a person like me and you’ve attacked them, they will put your IP out in the public view, as I have done here: http://raincoaster.com/category/scientology/

Note that this may or may not be illegal.

• As for TOR, it’s a way to cloak your IP. If you’re really paranoid about your IP, use TOR and it will show a false one.

You received the answer to your question. You’ve received additional answers to the parts you weren’t clear on. Do you want the same answer in more words?

• Is there a way to hide email and IP (especially IP) from being shown?

raincoaster has provided your answer.

Every time you comment, your comment is associated with an IP. If you want to hide an IP, use TOR, although TOR is not foolproof.

• @Timethief: thank you.

@raincoaster: thank you for your answers.

• You’re welcome. So be aware that IP number have no been unique for a decade or more now. ISP want to say money so they place hundreds of us in the same IP block.

• You’re welcome.

I agree with TT; there are very very few unique IPs out there. The scientology IP was interesting, and rare, in that it identified the building from which all the comments came. There must be only one in ten thousand IPs that do that, and if you’re on a standard connection from a normal internet service provider, your IP will not uniquely identify you.

• The topic ‘Email & IP Address showing up in comments’ is closed to new replies.