Domain Mapping cost issue

• Hi folks,

I have four sites on free wordpress. With the others, I was able to redirect my custom URLs to my wordpress sites free through my ISP.

I registered samanthawareing.wordpress.com a while back, bought the domain three months ago and was able to redirect for free through my ISP.

With the most recent one (kreativworkshopberlin.wordpress.com), I am not able to redirect, and the error message says I need to pay for Domain Mapping. I’ve never needed to before and I don’t understand what’s different now.

I have four sites on free wordpress.

Have the terms of service changed now? Is there a limit to the number of free ISP-side redirects one can have?

Any help you can give me would be gratefully received.

Regards,
    Samantha

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hello Samantha,

You will need an upgraded WordPress.com plan on your site in order to map a domain.

You can find more information from this link.

Regards,
    Rose

• Hi there,

If you’re redirecting a domain from somewhere else to a WordPress.com site, the domain is not connected to the site, only pointed at it.

The only correct way to connect a domain to a WordPress.com site has always been domain mapping, and that has always been a paid upgrade. Nothing has changed in this regard on our end, except that as of two years ago a paid plan is now required to add a domain mapping where in the past it was sold as a stand-alone upgrade.

Based on your question the only thing that has changed is that you didn’t set up the redirect at your domain provider in the same way that you did with your other domains.

There is no way we can prevent you from doing the same again with your newest domain, but we do not provide support for issues arising from pointing your domain to us in this way. Connecting your domain in this way means we have no control over how your site shows at the domain, and it can actually break several features on your site, like mobile responsiveness, stats and some widgets, if you combine the redirect with domain masking that makes it appear as if your site still loads at the domain.

• The topic ‘Domain Mapping cost issue’ is closed to new replies.