Do I really need to update my DNS?

• I have successfully renewed a domain registered with WordPress.com. The status is active and it will be automatically renewed next year.

I received a receipt saying Item: Domain Registration – mapped to [eternitainment.wordpress.com]

but it still says “dns needs to be updated” in red letters – sounds like I need to do something. So I click the hyperlink and it says

Map eternitainment.com to your site in 3 steps
    1. purchase domain mapping
    2. configure your domain

which I involves – “Point eternitainment.com’s nameservers to your site”

I already registered the domain and the receipt tells me it is mapped to the wordpress account! Isn’t that all I need to do? It was so easy when I set it up… So why is it telling me the DNS needs updating? Will my site become unavailable?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• My dns are already set up as NS1.wordpress.com NS2.wordpress.com

• Mine is saying exactly the same thing and having so many problems with it!!!! Really need some help! Let me know if you find anything!!!

Thanks

• Now it is saying DNS is correct and I didn’t even do anything.

• eternitainment.com (for eternitainment) is definitely fine now, I’m not sure why that notice was there. Sorry about that!

As for bygeorgelondon.com (for skinnergd), it was just purchased, but working fine.

When a domain is registered or altered, there is a process called propagation, where information about the domain name is passed to internet service providers all over the world. This process can take up to 72 hours (though usually much less). During that time, you may also receive a warning message in your browser about “redirect errors”. Unfortunately, we have no control over this as it all depends on how often your internet service provider updates their records. Please rest assured that everything is proceeding normally with your domain.

• Hi macmanx

Many thanks for the clarification! :-)

• Hi! Does that mean I need to wait for 72 hours to see if mine worked well?
    I mapped my existing domain (gorjaeous.com) to gorjaeous.wordpress.com.

I can’t seem to figure it out. :(

• The topic ‘Do I really need to update my DNS?’ is closed to new replies.