Deleted Media File, Yet New Upload Won't Replace w/ Same Name

• I have attempted numerous time to delete old PDF files that needed replacing. But now, instead of replacing ****.pdf with the same, it continues to change to ****1.pdf and ****2.pdf etc. with every attempt. This is after trying media uploader, in page drag-ins, WP media manager etc. PS. This is my portfolio for a job-search, so having potential employers going to a broken link could be costing this unemployed graduate dearly. Please help! Thanks, Andres

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi,

You can try the workaround that @justjennifer has suggested in the below thread
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/cant-rename-media-upload-pdf-without-upgrading-to-business?replies=10#post-3060088

If you are going to be revising your PDF files, it might be better to upload them to an online storage service like box, dropbox and the like, and then link to them instead. That way the file will be updated, but the link itself remains the same. This also has the benefit of keeping your PDF file out of search engine caches, which can be an issue for some.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

• Thanks for the info and I looked through it. I know about the Business Plan plug-ins it suggest. However, sure you could empathize, I’m a job-seeker just out of grad school, have links to this portfolio.pdf, and don’t have the resources to sign up for a business plan just to get a plug-in to remove a number from a file name. Makes me sad. Was so hoping I could erase the old one and it would not keep numbering files as if the old one was there, but alas…

• Hi andresdewet,

You don’t require a business plan. You could upload your PDF in an online storage service like dropbox and link them to your blog. That way how many times you update the file doesn’t matter as the link is going to remain the same. And you can provide that link in your Portfolio/Blog.

Hope that clarifies!

Thank you.

• Hi there,

Can you please let me know which file you want to completely delete so I can try and remove it completely. Then, you can re-upload without its name being changed.

• The topic ‘Deleted Media File, Yet New Upload Won't Replace w/ Same Name’ is closed to new replies.