CSS for iPad in Portrait Orientation

• CSS help please.

I want to pad-left 93px to a 768×1024 iPad–portrait orientation.

I have unsuccessfully tried nearly possibility. Using online iPad emulators, my code seems not to reach the iPad I want. Yet, I am using CSS to fine tune other mobile devices, including my Twenty Sixteen widgets on the 7681024 iPad, landscape orientation.

I have used various online tools to determine the CSS Media Queries for iPads & iPhones.

This is one set of the coding I have used:

@media only screen and (min-device-width : 768px) and (max-device-width : 1024px) and (orientation : portrait) and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1) {
    .site-main {
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding-left: 90px;
    width: 100%;
    }
    }

Using Google Chrome inspect on the emulator, I can enter the padding I want and see the change I want. Copy the element to my CSS, save it, then refresh the emulator and nothing changes.

I have tried with and without the margin and width statement. I’ve tried with and without the WebKit. I do not know of any combination I have not tried. I have spent significant parts of 2 days trying to resolve this problem.

What am I missing? What am I not doing?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to applying your solution.

I think my CSS is visible to you, I also have it available for others to view @ [ http://bit.ly/1Q5s0yw ].

James [a.k.a. jalexartis]

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi James, I’m seeing the sidebar move down below the content at 909px and narrower. At 909px, and down to 709px, I’m seeing the content narrower than the white area with a wider margin on the right. At 708px, the content and featured image adjusts to full width minus 7.6923% of left and right padding.

Can you let me know exactly what you are wanting as the final result and I would be more than happy to help accomplish that. I’m not sure I understand exactly what you are wanting.

• I am delighted you have a response. In portrait mode, to my knowledge, there is no sidebar beside the content. It follows the content in that mode. I am okay with that.

I want an equal amount of whitespace, left and right of the content area. I think the result at 708px is what I want. That is “min-width”?

I tried different numbers, but never saw a result. I also search the forums. We are fortunate you are here for us.

I’ll plug in your numbers.

Thanks man!!!

James

• I still have no movement.

@media only screen and (min-device-width : 708px)
    and (max-device-width : 1024px) and (orientation : portrait)
    and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1) {
    /* under development–NOT WORKING YET, 03/16 */
    .site-main {
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding-left: 93px;
    }
    }

Using Inspect, I do not see the property I set. Of course, this assumes the emulators work. I’ve used different ones and get the same non-result.

Thanks again!

James

• James, this is what I would do so that things look consistent between 909 and 708 pixels in width. Add this to the bottom of your custom CSS and see what you think.

@media screen and (max-width: 909px) and (min-width: 708px) {
    	.entry-header, .entry-summary, .entry-content, .entry-footer, .post-thumbnail {
    		margin-left: 7.6923%;
    		margin-right: 7.6923%;
    	}
    }
  • BEAUTIFUL!

I love it. it is much better than te balance I was trying to achieve.
    Content is better than perfect.

My sidebar sits off to the left. Do I need to pad or include an element in the group you gave?

Yes, the emulators reflect the CSS.

jaa

• This the way I dealt with the widget sidebar [which follows the content.

/** iPad CODING, width, elements, and and margin code from
    thesacredpath, WordPress.com Happiness Engineer, 03/16 **/

@media
    screen and (max-width: 909px) and (min-width: 708px) {
    .entry-header, .entry-summary, .entry-content, .entry-footer, .post-thumbnail {
    margin-left: 7.6923%;
    margin-right: 7.6923%;
    }

.widget {
    /* Widget placement for iPad, NEW 03/16 */
    margin-left: 55px;
    margin-bottom: 10px;
    }
    }

It is positioned where I want it and the size of the pictures is fine. Unless I have bad coding, I’m good.

At this point, please close this issue as resolved.

Thank you sir!

James

• James, glad that worked for you, and your code looks good, and you are welcome.

• James, thank you, it was my pleasure to help. Let us know if you have additional problems or questions.

• Sure. Thanks and I will.

I try to find answers and solve my problems without help, but sometimes that is not possible.

Enjoy The Sacred Path.

jaa

• The topic ‘CSS for iPad in Portrait Orientation’ is closed to new replies.