Complying with GDPR using Starter Plan

• Hi,

I would like to know how I can gather consent correctly on the basis of GDPR when using the Starter Plan.

I only have the Cookie Consent Block available, cannot use Custom HTML to install my own CMP and based on my understanding of the GDPR the Cookie Consent Block doesn’t comply with its requirements.

How have others overcome this and is there any official advice from WordPress surrounding how to correctly gather user consent when using the Starter plan?

ICO GDPR guidelines:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/direct-marketing-and-privacy-and-electronic-communications/guide-to-pecr/cookies-and-similar-technologies/#consent

To be valid, consent must be freely given, specific and informed. It must involve some form of unambiguous positive action – for example, ticking a box or clicking a link – and the person must fully understand that they are giving you consent. You cannot show consent if you only provide information about cookies as part of a privacy policy that is hard to find, difficult to understand, or rarely read.

Consent does not necessarily have to be explicit consent. However, consent must be given by a clear positive action. You need to be confident that your users fully understand that their actions will result in specific cookies being set, and have taken a clear and deliberate action to give consent. This must be more than simply continuing to use the website. To ensure that consent is freely given, users should have the means to enable or disable non-essential cookies, and you should make this easy to do.

The wording of the Consent Block is:
    Privacy & Cookies: This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy.

• Hi there,

The Cookie Consent Block includes features to help ensure your site’s GDPR compliance. It includes an accept button for the visitors to give consent. Furthermore, you can modify the wording in the banner after adding it to provide any additional necessary information for your visitors.

Please take a look at this support page, as it will give you the step-by-step instructions:

WP
    Blocks (The Full List) » Cookie Consent Block
    2 min read
    The Cookie Consent block displays a cookie consent banner on your website, letting visitors know the site uses cookies. This guide will explain how to add it to your site. Theme Support If your site uses a theme that supports the site editor, you can add the Cookie Consent Block. A quick way to find out if your site uses the site editor is to check under Appearance in your dashboard. If yo

and this page about making your site GDPR compliant:

WP
    Your WordPress.com Site and the GDPR
    7 min read
    We care a lot about your privacy and that of your site’s visitors. WordPress.com is committed to operating in accordance with the GDPR, as well as giving you tools and resources to help you better understand and comply with the law, for your own site. This guide is designed to aid you in your efforts to be transparent to your site’s visitors about the data your site collects on them and how that d

If there are specific things you need to ensure compliance that are not provided, please do not hesitate to share here and we will assist.

Reply to Complying with GDPR using Starter Plan