Complying with EU Cookie Law

• One should re-engineer the whole front-end software. This takes time, testing and money.

Time? The first post in this forum about this matter was written in 2012!!!
    “Three years” aren’t enough time to address the issue?

Will EU pay for it? I doubt.

No, EU will not pay anything for it. Just as no state or organization that issues laws never pays anything because the people put themselves in compliance with these laws . Or in your country things are different?

• First of all, there is no need to submit the same message three times. I understand if I read it once.

Second, it doesn’t matter if you are a free user or not, your WordPress website is using cookies like everyone else in the world. Didn’t you check?

Third, the cookie law came into effect this year in many European country, together with official statements from governments on how to “comply”. On the other hand, this service is offered by an American company that has absolutely no duty to spend time and money to help someone else, even better users who don’t pay a single dollar, to comply with foreign stupid laws.

Then let’s ask why doesn’t Automattic comply with the laws of China by censoring their users in whatever way possible? Simply because they don’t have to. Luckily.

Finally, it is the EU’s fault to have introduced this law. If they don’t want to pay all of us a legal consultant, they are forcing us to either open a loan at the bank to pay the lawyers and possibly the software developers to change the site, or either close our website.

This is clearly a good mean to prevent equal access to the Web, violating freedom of information and freedom of speech rights in many countries, including the entire EU. Since such a regulation is putting huge obstacles on people’s right to expression, it is illegal itself. Nice move, Europe.

• First of all, there is no need to submit the same message three times. I understand if I read it once.

Second, it doesn’t matter if you are a free user or not, your WordPress website is using cookies like everyone else in the world. Didn’t you check?

Third, the cookie law came into effect this year in many European country, together with official statements from governments on how to “comply”. On the other hand, this service is offered by an American company that has absolutely no duty to spend time and money to help someone else, even better users who don’t pay a single dollar, to comply with foreign stupid laws.

Then let’s ask why doesn’t Automattic comply with the laws of China by censoring their users in whatever way possible? Simply because they don’t have to. Luckily.

Finally, it is the EU’s fault to have introduced this law. If they don’t want to pay all of us a legal consultant, they are forcing us to either open a loan at the bank to pay the lawyers and possibly the software developers to change the site, or either close our website.

This is clearly a good mean to prevent equal access to the Web, violating freedom of information and freedom of speech rights in many countries, including the entire EU. Since such a regulation is putting huge obstacles on people’s right to expression, it is illegal itself. Nice move, Europe.

• Damn WordPress forum. Why does it say the message was not submitted if it was?

That is outrageous, not the cookie law. Sorry for multiple posting. :-|

• Are you always so nice to other ignorant people like me? That’s why I’m not a reader of yours…

• For italian users – Per gli utenti italiani
    Clarification of Guarantor – Chiarimenti del Garante
    giugno 4, 2015
    http://www.wired.it/internet/regole/2015/06/04/cookie-law-chiarimento-garante/

• Perennementesloggata, huh? I have already apologized for posting the same message multiple times. Again, sorry about that. The forum writes that the message is not submitted while it is.

Still I don’t understand why people is complaining to Automattic about a law which violates our fundamental rights. Or suggesting technical measures that do not comply with that law. We should be complaining with the authorities instead and maybe also avoid flaming in this discussion. That could be useful as well.

• Damn WordPress forum. Why does it say the message was not submitted if it was?

That is outrageous, not the cookie law. Sorry for multiple posting. :-|

Oh, I see you understood by yourself why I posted multiple comments!
    But thanks for assaulting me without thinking first.

• Assaulting? Did I come to your house with a knife? OMG

If you don’t like people discussing your point of view, it’s a bit hard to be on a forum. Also if you take every comment as a personal offense. It is not, don’t worry.

Remaining in topic, I think the only useful resource here is the last link posted by Giuseppe Merlino. As stated clearly in the law, by the Garante and elsewhere, a simple message is useless if you have tracking cookies. If you don’t, then it may be sufficient.

Still the problem remains that anybody can sue you if he doesn’t like the exact words of your privacy policy or the way the message is shown. That’s why lawyers are super happy now. They will make a ton of money by raising the prices of consultancy on this topic. Good for them!

• First, thank you for the link. Then, the article reports “Se il tuo sito non ha pubblicità, preoccupati solo che i widget social siano semplici link e non sparino cookie ai tuoi lettori. A quel punto, basta aggiungere una informativa informale. Altrimenti, se hai cookie di profilazione, sì, ti tocca onerosamente metterti in regola.” (briefly translated in “if your site doesn’t have any ads, just be careful that social widgets are simple links and don’r shoot cookies at your readers. If so a simple informal message will be enough”).
    The linked article states once more the “no ads” requirement, to benefit from this softer approach.
    Well, WordPress.com adds ads to every page of our blogs (that’s how it can offer us a free service) and if you have social widgets (or any other widget), how could you know what kind of cookies it installs on the visitors computers?

I appreciate very much the “soft” approch of the garante (guarantor?), but still it seems to me I will not be fully compliant with the law anyway.

Ads are put there by WordPress, not by me, I know. But once again, if I use a service not compliant with my Country laws, I’m not sure I will not be considered responsible.

• @gabbigames I removed two years ago advertising on my WordPress Blog, paying, 24 Euros per year. Now I have taken away even the button facebook.

• To add more interesting ingredients to this topic…

Lettera al Garante per la privacy: il pasticcio dei cookie e il chiarimento che non chiarisce

(this is written by a lawyer)

Of particular interest, only for people in Italy:

– che la normativa in materia di tutela dei dati personali stabilisce che un soggetto può essere ritenuto responsabile degli adempimenti rispetto ai quali riveste un ruolo attivo e che rientrano nell’ambito della propria sfera d’azione e non certo, invece, per comportamenti sui quali non ha alcuna possibilità di intervento, perché in caso contrario si arriverebbe ad una ingiustificata attribuzione di una sorta di responsabilità oggettiva per comportamenti altrui, e quindi il recepimento del consenso e per la fornitura della relativa informativa relativamente ai cookie di terzi dovrebbe spettare esclusivamente ai terzi;
    […]
    – che ulteriormente il gestore del sito web non sempre è in grado di capire se il proprio sito veicola cookie da social plugin e quali sono, e quali dati tali plugin social trattano, di conseguenza qualunque informativa in merito fornita dal gestore del sito web sarebbe incompleta e qualunque consenso fornito dall’utente che visita il sito sarebbe non informato e quindi giuridicamente non valido;

• @gabbigames I removed two years ago advertising on my WordPress Blog, paying, 24 Euros per year. Now I have taken away even the button facebook.

Maybe it’s a way to force all “free” user (all of them who don’t feel sure to be in compliance with law) to pay for removing advert or to pay to become premium users?
    Bad policy… I think that those among us who didn’t pay in 5, 6 or more years will choose to migrate to Blogspot, rather than begin paying now.

• @lazza:: thanks for sharing one of the first link that – finally – stands on his own legs for coherence, logic, legal and intellectual proprierties.

• Koolinus, you’re more than welcome.

• I agree, the “il gestore del sito web non sempre è in grado di capire se il proprio sito veicola cookie da social plugin e quali sono” is one of the first ones from an “insider” that makes me feel the speaker has a good understanding of the real-world situation.

@giuseppemerlino: thanks for sharing your experience. If I’d had to spend money in my blog, I’d prefer investing a few more (just a little, in fact) and taking my own hosting on a low cost provider and install wordpress by myself, freeing me from any dependance.

• makes me feel the speaker has a good understanding of the real-world situation

Absolutely. He not only has a good understanding of the law (he’s a lawyer) but also a very good technical knowledge on the practical aspects of what is required to be compliant.

• The Wired article, published by Merlin, is not the slightest nod to third-party cookies (read the comments).

Ultimately, the Wired article is totally unnecessary and I doubt they actually talked to the sponsor and if they did, they have not asked the right questions.

Council NOT take it for good.

It is not the first time I wrote an article in Wired inaccurate or incomplete.

• The topic ‘Complying with EU Cookie Law’ is closed to new replies.