Complying with EU Cookie Law

• for the moment i also used the text widget to inform about the law.

But.. really.. WordPress.com staff. … give us a banner to use on our sites.

• DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer.

But, I do think that the wording in @sunews post here: https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/complying-with-eu-cookie-law?replies=42#post-2387640

Cookies Notice
    Please note that this website uses cookies. You can find more information on the cookies used from here: http://automattic.com/privacy/
    By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to the placement of cookies on your computer.
    Alternatively, you can refuse all cookies by changing the settings of your browsers.

added to a Text Widget and featured prominently in your site’s sidebar would satisfy. It covers the current information from Automattic’s legal department (as posted by Staff here: https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/complying-with-eu-cookie-law?replies=42#post-2389505 ).

Unless and until Automattic provides a disclaimer banner, as apparently Blogger now does (thanks @toxnetlab), this is what there is. What is also apparent is that @toxnetlab’s site on Blogger is hosted on the local Italian version blogspot.it which would make it clearly under European jurisdiction.

• Other USA-based services, BTW, are simply ignoring the question. For example during a research yesterday I saw nothing regarding Tumblr …

• As indicated it might not be enough for the Italian law.
    We need a “banner” clearly visible and of a different color from the text, to make disappear by clicking on OK.

Moreover, Italian law (not yet understand well, we are waiting for official information on the interpretation that will arrive on May 29) could provide the blocking of cookies until the user explicitly NOT accept them (yes, I know it’s absurd … :-( ).

• Italian law (not yet understand well, we are waiting for official information on the interpretation

this is the problem – a law is passed – scare the daylights out of you by saying you go to jail if you don’t comply – but yet the law was not written well enough for hosts to understand exactly what they should do – so what should WordPress.COM do? Make 17,000 different options available every time a new report or rumor surfaces on exactly what will need to be done?

As someone that used to design and write software – a moving target is very difficult to design to

• There’s no need to make 17.000 different options available.
    There is at least one plugin already – I haven’t properly checked, but I’m sure there’s more out there – for WordPress that WP.com could simply implement, making every site hosted on their servers law-compliant.

So, why haven’t they?
    And what should we do while we wait for them to make it possible for us to respect the law? Close our sites and/or migrate to other hostings?
    Because I don’t know about you, but I haven’t got 6.000 € to pay for the fine in case someone notices that my site is not law-compliant.

• Exactly.
    The options have a maximum of 2:
    a) Statement of Banner with Short + Link to Statement Extended + Accept button
    b) Disclosure Banner with Short + Link to Statement Extended + Button + Accept button Deny

And of course I hope that in the end common sense will prevail and go well only solution “to”

• Cursed Google Translate :-)

And of course I hope that in the end common sense will prevail and go well only solution “A”

• This screenshot is why I believe WPcom could offer a solution for the EU Cookie Law requirement. (screenshot)

Look under Widgets in Appearance or in the Customizer and you’ll see the “Internet Defense League” widget, which gives you the option of a modal overlay. You can dismiss the entire overlay by clicking on the X in the upper right corner or by clicking anywhere outside the content box of the overlay. There are also additional options for giving and receiving information within the overlay itself.

Hopefully someone at WordPress.com is working on creating a similar “accept/reject cookie” widget for the many European community members that need it.

• From what I’ve gathered, putting a text message on the side (or in the footer) of the blog will not be sufficient.
    If WordPress will not fully comply its service I think I’ll bring down the blog. No way I’m going to risk paying a fine for something I’m doing as an hobby, for free.

• scusate, riassumendo per me che di codici e cookie e pop-up non sono così ferrata, c’è un modo che in italia sia legale o dobbiamo traslocare tutti verso blogspot, visto che tra due giorni comincia il periodo in cui multeranno?
    ovvero, wordpress ci dà questo plugin o dobbiamo fare all’italiana e mettere due righe in alto a destra del blog?
    la neve d’inverno ce la fanno scegliere ma un plugin indispensabile no?

• A me la soluzione del widget testuale convince molto poco: non è assolutamente in regola con la normativa.
    Il minimo a questo punto (dopo tre anni di inattività per realizzare un cavolo di popup automatico per tutti gli utenti (come fatto su Blogger, dove gli utenti manco sanno di tutta sta storia… E nonostante questo si trovano automaticamente in regola) è un comunicato ufficiale di WP, da linkare nel widget oltre alla loro politica sui cookies, in cui WP si assume ogni responsabilità per conto di tutti gli utenti (cosa che dovrebbe riuscirgli facile, visto che sono loro gli unici che possono avere a che fare CN i cookies).
    Diversamente, io non mi sento tutelata (per il momento ho già blindato il mio blog)… E appena capisco come migro (purtroppo, dopo quasi cinque anni) su Blogger.

• A me la soluzione del widget testuale convince molto poco: non è assolutamente in regola con la normativa.
    Il minimo a questo punto (dopo tre anni di inattività per realizzare un cavolo di popup automatico per tutti gli utenti (come fatto su Blogger, dove gli utenti manco sanno di tutta sta storia… E nonostante questo si trovano automaticamente in regola) è un comunicato ufficiale di WP, da linkare nel widget oltre alla loro politica sui cookies, in cui WP si assume ogni responsabilità per conto di tutti gli utenti (cosa che dovrebbe riuscirgli facile, visto che sono loro gli unici che possono avere a che fare CN i cookies).
    Diversamente, io non mi sento tutelata (per il momento ho già blindato il mio blog)… E appena capisco come migro (purtroppo, dopo quasi cinque anni) su Blogger.

• Stessa cosa per me…da domani il mio blog diventerà privato, così non sarà più raggiungibile da nessuno (google compreso), e mi sposterò su Blogspot dopo 6 anni di WordPress.

Mi rode perché perderò molto: rank, anzianità e probabilmente qualche followers.

• Se mi spiegate come fare, lo faccio pure io.
    (e forse, quando i blog europei saranno tutti bloccati si attiveranno per permetterci di essere in regola con le leggi del nostro paese).

• Vai su Amministratore WP —> Impostazioni —> Lettura: sez. Visibilità del sito, seleziona “Vorrei che il mio sito fosse privato, visibile solo a me e agli utenti scelti da me”

• Noi abbiamo impostato il banner come suggerito da giuseppemerlino ma non ci fidiamo molto per cui anche noi renderemo “privato” il nostro sito.
    Dear WP.com, we’ll put our website in private mode tomorrow and we’ll pass to blogger.com if you respect the new rules!

• Dear WP.com, we’ll put our website in private mode tomorrow and we’ll pass to blogger.com if you don’t respect the new rules!

• The topic ‘Complying with EU Cookie Law’ is closed to new replies.