Complying with EU Cookie Law

• I use the text widget and link to privacy policy as noted above

Me too, in the footer, above the theme & WordPress.com credits.

• @LiztheFair: sorry but what you wrote is not quite correct, First of all directives to enforce the law are very clear … we have to have a banner cookie information used.

In addition, the solution provided is not good to respect the law, but it is so difficult to place a banner? You already have a widget that does this for Internet Defense League do not understand why you can not do for cookies (which is also the most useful).

Any fine who pays? Automattic? I love wordpress, but as you force me at the end of the month to change the platform (after six years) !!

• I know in WP.org there’s the possibility to install the plug-in above:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/creare-eu-cookie-law-banner/
    So why there’s no solution you can (quite easily, I suppose) get in WP.com?

• on wordpress.org, if I understand it, you can download the installation of wordpress to install on your hosting, where of course you are free to install whatever you want.
    on wordpress.com instead there is this possibility.

• @dapinna:

on wordpress.org, if I understand it, you can download the installation of wordpress to install on your hosting, where of course you are free to install whatever you want.
    on wordpress.com instead there is this possibility.

lo so, era solo per sapere se possono farlo anche su .com; sarebbe finalmente l’ora per poter iniziare ad usare anche noi i java-script. O, se non vogliono darci questa possibilità, potrebbero provvedere con un banner gestito direttamente da loro (e personalizzabile da noi).

• la soluzione corretta è prevedere un widget con
    – testo informativa breve
    – link informativa estesa
    – pulsante OK
    – (eventuale blocco preventivo dei cookie, se passa l’interpretazione più restrittiva della legge Italiana)

[English (I apologize for any errors … I’m using google translate :-))]
    the correct solution is IHMO predict a widget
    – Short text information
    – Link wide information
    – OK button
    – (Possible preventing cookie, if it passes the more restrictive interpretation of the law Italian)

• Io ho adottato questa soluzione http://toxnetlab.com/ che ho trovato sul blog https://ilperdilibri.wordpress.com/2015/05/25/how-i-did-it/

Che ne pensate? Se riuscite a modificare il codice per migliorarlo postatelo

• @toxnetlab: that “solution” looks good, but does not work as standard notice cookies. In my opinion is the same as putting a text widget (like mine, in the footer).
    Or none.

• @Galois: I know, however, it is what comes closest to that required. Besides, this should be the task of WordPress.com and not my find a solution.

• In attesa di un Widget specifico è una Ottima soluzione, che almeno ha come aspetto ha quella del banner normale.

L’unico problema è che quel “esci” ti fa uscire dal sito, quando dovrebbe essere un “OK”, “Accetta” o simile, che poi fa scomparire il banner.

• Lo so però il problema è che l’autore del codice non l’ha messo e io non so come fare. Quindi se avete idee per migliorarlo pubblicatelo pure !! ;D

• Besides, this should be the task of WordPress.com and not my find a solution.

I agree, but note the @kokkieh’s message above:

I’m not in the legal profession, but I think the same principle would apply here: We are not in control of technical aspects of our sites, like cookies. Our websites themselves don’t set the cookies, but WordPress.com does, and all our sites are merely subdomains of WordPress.com, even if you have your site mapped to a custom domain. Consequently, I wouldn’t think we can be held liable in any legal case arising from this particular issue, as something completely out of your control cannot possibly be your fault.
    If anyone is not complying with the law by not giving an option to opt out of cookies (which, frankly, is impossible to prosecute if actual guidelines haven’t been issued yet), it is WordPress.com, not individual bloggers, as individual bloggers simply don’t have the ability to add such an option.

Just make sure you very clearly state in your privacy policy that it’s WordPress.com, not you, setting the cookies, and that you have no control over this, and refer people to the Automattic privacy policy as has been said above.

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/complying-with-eu-cookie-law?replies=29#post-2389791

• Lo so però il problema è che l’autore del codice non l’ha messo e io non so come fare. Quindi se avete idee per migliorarlo pubblicatelo pure !! ;D

It’s impossible, because it requires JavaScript. And JavaScript is not allowed on WordPress.com for security reasons.

• It’s impossible, because it requires JavaScript. And JavaScript is not allowed on WordPress.com for security reasons.

Exactly.
    As already said, waiting for a specific widget, the only solution is to download the installation from wordpress.org, buy a space in a hosting + domain, and move them around.
    Wordpress.com evidently wants to lose users

• I know that’s why if wordpress is not a solution I’ll move here http://toxnetlabblog.blogspot.it/

• @galois
    (sorry for the bad English … I used Google Translator;-))

I agree with what you say.
    The problem is that it is unclear how it can be interpreted by the Italian law the peculiarity of wordpress.com

It ‘true that we are guests on this platform, but the danger is behind the obtuse interpretation of the law made by those who are not versed in the matter.
    It may interpret that “guests” as a normal hosting.

And if anyone (even in WP.com) think that the fact of being on the US server, can save us “guests”, someone might say you’re Italian, you have to follow the law and Italian adeguarti.

Regarding the interpretation, please note that the Italian law says something about “cookies” but who must give the interpretation, says another … and will be made a clarification on 29 May. The law comes into force in Italy on June 2nd.

• @dapinna: Thanks for your opinion and clarifications.
    BTW, I live in Majorca, Spain. ;)

• I mean that here in Spain nobody knows what will happen with the law.

• The widget banner is essential in Italy.

• The topic ‘Complying with EU Cookie Law’ is closed to new replies.