Comments and blog types – Help please, I'm lost

• http://wordsgood4598.wordpress.com/ello everyone!

I am so lost and really hope someone can help me…

I created a WordPress Blog.com at the end of Dec. 2013. To join this forum and ask for help, I had to create what seems to be an entirely new blog just now as the site refused to accept my Log-in info for my actual blog. For the newly created site (to log-in her), I used a slight modification of the Username I’ve been blogging under for the last 6 weeks. i.e.:

This is the site I’ve been using:

moppitareus.blog.com

This is the one I just created:

moppitareus.wordpress.com

I can see – now – that the URL ends differently for each account. (“.com” VS “wordpress.com”) :( I know this probably sounds very silly to the experienced folks, and you have my apologies for it. But I did spend considerable time trying research the world of WordPress before ever signing up for the first account (“.com”) – and several weeks since then trolling around the ‘net looking for help to answer a questions about reader’s comments.

Frustration with the latter is what finally led me to sign-up here. Now it would appear I have a few problems I need help with:

1) Is my original, actually working blog – the “.com” one an older version of WordPress that I stumbled into creating before realizing I should be using this format (“wordpress.com”)? If not, could you please explain what’s happened?

2) And how I should proceed to keep a Free WordPress account? Preferably with the all of the Posts, Comments and Links intact?

3) And now to my original reason for seeking help in the first place:
    ● Assuming I will not have to change my .com site and be a member of the WordPress Community, how can I stop reader’s from having to use Mozilla to verify their email everytime they want to comment. Since creating the blog, I have learned how to disable this setting while still retaining the power to moderate all comments. But, it’s still forcing folks who previously signed up with Mozilla to comment before I figured out how to disable it. Other people, who had not left a comment before I disabled it, can leave comments without the need to register with Mozilla & have their email verified each time. Though it does still ask them to and it’s discouraged a few folks (actual live people I know – not the spammers it was designed to filter out – from even trying to comment.

Phew! I know this has been a long post, but I wanted to include any info that might be relevant. So if you’re still reading, thanks for sticking with me! :)

I have searched the Forum and Support pages, but as previously stated, it did not register until now that there was more than one type of .com (free) accounts available for WordPress. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wordsgood

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there! Let’s see if we can’t untangle this.

This blog — moppitareus.blog.com — isn’t actually on WordPress.com at all. It’s on blog.com. Blog.com is another blogging service. It’s built using WordPress.org, which causes a bit of confusion.

WordPress.com and WordPress.org are actually two different things, and you can learn more here:

WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org

This blog — moppitareus.wordpress.com — doesn’t seem to exist.

This blog — wordsgood4598.wordpress.com — is the only active WordPress.com blog you have right now.

If your readers are being asked for their email before commenting, that’s a function of the blog.com platform — you’d need to look at their support materials to see if there’s a way around it.

If you want to consolidate things, you should be able to:
    1. Export your content from blog.com
    2. Import your content to WordPress.com
    3. Set up wordsgood4598.wordpress.com as you main site

• Sigh. Thank you Michelle!

I had sinking feeling as I was writing that all out that I did not have WordPress blog to begin with. Which is weird since it was mostly this sites tutorials that helped me set it up, lol.

So now the question is, how do I go about exporting all my Posts, Comment and Links and the few followers I have, over to a free WordPress.com blog? Which, I gather, is the moppitareus4598 one I inadvertantly created last night?

Again, THANK YOU for helping me with this. I was about ready to yank my hair out! :)

• If the administration of your blog.com site is like a WordPress site, there should be a “Tool” tab, and one of the options there is “Export.” You’ll want to check the blog.com support documentation though, to be sure.

That export will move all your contents, including posts and comments. It won’t move your followers, so you’ll need to let them know where you’re headed.

Assuming you’re able to get a WordPress export file from blog, you’ll then head to the dashboard of your WordPress.com blog (wordsgood4598.wordpress.com, or create a new one with your preferred moppitareus address). Go to the “Tools” tab, and pick “Import.” You’ll be able to upload the file there.

For all the details on importing, take a look at:

Import a Website

• The topic ‘Comments and blog types – Help please, I'm lost’ is closed to new replies.