Changing nameserver for a domain that is deleted!

• Hello, I recently deleted a domain that I registered thinking that is what I needed to do in order to transfer my domain to Host Gator. However no I have no access to the domain that I paid $18 to register on WordPress.com for I’ve already read through all the help documents. Please help me get my domain back so I can change the nameservers please. https://en.support.wordpress.com/change-name-servers/

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi, when you cancel a domain, it is returned to the registrar. It isn’t released. We will get in touch with them to see if we can get it back for you. The process typically takes a few business days. Depending on the timing, they may charge a fee. We will let you know what we find.

• Well, I don’t necessarily need it back. All I want to do is change the name server. So once it transfers back to Wild Wild West domains I’ll ask them to change the name server. Thanks so much for your response! I appreciate it.

• As you registered the domain via us, you can only change the name servers via our interface, not with Wild West Domains directly. We can either ask them to restore it back to our account, or they delete it completely. There is no way for you to manage the domain directly with them, as you did not buy it directly from them.

We’ve emailed them to try and recover the domain. We’ll let you know once we hear back from them. Once the domain is restored, we can help you point the name servers to Hostgator, or to transfer it to them completely.

• Thank you so much this is what I wanted to hear. I really don’t want to deal with Wild Wild West domains anymore. You have been much more helpful than them! Thanks for getting me reregistered. I was under the impression that once I deleted the domain from WordPress.com that I would be able to change the nameserver with Wild Wild West. Boy, was I wrong!

• I’m glad I could help.

I’m still waiting to hear back from Wild West about restoring the domain, but I’ll let you know as soon as I do.

• Good news. Our registrar has restored your domain and it’s once again showing your Hostgator site.

If you want to transfer the domain to hostgator, go to My Site ->Domains, click the arrow next to your domain, and select the Transfer domain option at the bottom.
    Transfer a Domain to Another Registrar

Please let me know if you need any more help with this.

• Thank you so very much! So right now the site is pointing to Hostgator. What do I need to call it to point it back to WordPress.com?

• I tried ns.1 wordpress.com ns.2 wordpress.com but it add then becomes thatfunreadingteacher.wordpress.com with that

• Okay so another problem I am having is that when I go to thatfunreadingteacher.com my other website avisionforkids.com comes up.

• At the moment your domain is loading a placeholder page with That Fun Reading Teacher’s logo for me, and it’s pointing to Hostgator.

If you want the domain to point to your site at thatfunreadingteacherdotcom.wordpress.com, you need to reset the name servers:

Go to My Sites ->Domains and click the arrow next to your domain. Click on Name servers and DNS, and click the button next to Use WordPress.com Name Servers.

It will take a few hours to update, but then the domain will be pointing to your WordPress.com site again.

But if your intent is still to transfer the domain to Hostgator, then you don’t need to change the name servers. You can just transfer it using the instructions I gave in my previous reply.

• I am concerned I still don’t have all of the posts and original content that was part of thatfunreadingteacher.com before I deleted the registered domain. So I change the nameserver back to WordPress.com and not hostgator. Is this why I can’t see all the content/posts? I know it can take up to 72 hours for the nameserver to change. I just want to know that my posts and original files and site are still safe. As of right now the current thatfunreadingteacher.com site is not my original site. It only has 18 posts and doesn’t look anything like my original site. How can changing names change your site so much?

• Okay update. Changing the nameserver back to WordPress.com has not restored my original site. The site that comes up is an old version of my site. Where is my site? Where are my posts?

• Also when I click on links they take me to the coming page soon that is connected to my avision4kids site that is a self-hosted wordpress site.

• I just want to know that my posts and original files and site are still safe. As of right now the current thatfunreadingteacher.com site is not my original site. It only has 18 posts and doesn’t look anything like my original site. How can changing names change your site so much?

Your site was with Hostgator. That means your files and content is/was with them, not with us. ONLY your domain was with us, NOT your site. We don’t have your missing content as it was never hosted on our servers, but on Hostgator’s. If they did not keep a backup of your content, and you did not ensure you made regular backups yourself, then that content is gone.

We keep full backups of every site hosted on WordPress.com, but we don’t keep backups of sites not hosted with us – that’s neither possible nor our responsibility.

The site you see now if you go to your domain is your old WordPress.com site, thatfunreadingteacherdotcom.wordpress.com, which you last updated in 2013. That is the only content you ever hosted on our servers, so it’s the only content we have access to.

Changing your name servers means you pointed your domain AWAY from hostgator where your site was, and TO your old WordPress.com site thatfunreadingteacherdotcom.wordpress.com. That is all that changing name servers can do. There is no way that action can restore content from anywhere.

Also when I click on links they take me to the coming page soon that is connected to my avision4kids site that is a self-hosted wordpress site.

Which links? The only domain in your account is thatfunreadingteacher.com, and that is now pointing to thatfunreadingteacherdotcom.wordpress.com, loading that site for me.

• Thank you for your thorough response. I am very concerned because I was on a live chat with hostgator until 2 am and they don’t seem to have files for my most recent website either! I just don’t understand where all my posts and content went!

• The topic ‘Changing nameserver for a domain that is deleted!’ is closed to new replies.