Certificate issue – SSL Certificate is Pending

• Over the weekend our website stopped working with a certificate error.

When I navigate to the backend Domains, this is what I see under “Domain Security”

What do I need to do to resolve this issue?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there!

It looks like your domain has a mix of GoDaddy and WordPress.com nameservers. Since the domain is registered with a different company (not with us), you’ll need to make changes to the domain’s nameservers on your domain registrar’s website.

The current nameservers on the domain are:

1. ns07.domaincontrol.com
    2. ns08.domaincontrol.com
    3. ns1.wordpress.com
    4. ns2.wordpress.com
    5. ns3.wordpress.com

You must remove the first two so that it only has the three WordPress.com nameservers. Please contact your domain registrar company if you need help with updating the nameservers.

Within 72 hours of updating the nameservers, the domain will be loading your WordPress.com site, and the SSL certificate issue should resolve on its own.

Feel free to let us know if you have more questions.

• Done. Now we just have to wait?

• Hey there,

I am still seeing additional name server records for your domain:

• ns61.domaincontrol.com
    • ns61.domaincontrol.com
    • ns62.domaincontrol.com

Please ensure the only name server records available are the following:

• ns1.wordpress.com
    • ns2.wordpress.com
    • ns3.wordpress.com

Thanks! Once this is updated, we can take a look and try to manually reissue the SSL certificate. If not, one should be issued automatically.

Hope this helps!

• this has been completed as of now. Can you please check asap? Our site has been down for 2 full days now.

• Hi,

Thanks for letting us know, we’ve already reissued your SSL certificate, and your site is working again:

Hope this helps!

• yes, all good thank you! Do you have a checklist of best practices for hosting with you? I was not aware of the need to point out nameservers to word press.com

• Hi there,

We don’t have a checklist, but you can always consult our documentation which is well-organized and searchable. You can find it here: https://wordpress.com/support/

• Hi, I am having this same issue! Where do I see the nameservers? I have the toggle selected for “Use WordPress.com name servers” – does that mean my nameservers are with WordPress already? When I do a nameserver lookup, it seems to only list wordpress. Thanks!

• Hi @ajustinbryant,

I’ve taken a moment to review your domain, northseattletherapy.com, and here’s what I found: your domain is indeed using the WordPress.com nameservers. However, you’ve also updated the A records for your domain to point to a site hosted by Squarespace. It’s important to note that A records supersede nameservers. This means that, despite using WordPress.com’s nameservers, the changes you made to the A records are effectively pointing your domain to your Squarespace website.

Additionally, I noticed that you’ve initiated a domain transfer. If your intention is solely to point your domain to your Squarespace site, you’ve already accomplished this by adjusting the A records. There’s no need for a domain transfer if this was your goal.

Should you have any more questions or need further assistance, please feel free to reach out.

• The topic ‘Certificate issue – SSL Certificate is Pending’ is closed to new replies.