Cant transfer my domain from WordPress to Wix

• I decided to cancel my WordPress account and switch to Wix. However, my domain (mossyelk.com) seems to be trapped in WordPress. Through a site that can find where the domain is located, it shows its still through WordPress. However when I go to my account, it says I don’t have any domain, because I deleted it. It shows the generic “mossyelk.wordpress.com” but that’s not what I’m talking about. I can’t find any DNS records. To transfer to Wix, I need the DNS record and change the nameserver. I’ve read through all the articles and can’t find anything that can help me. Thank you!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• If you deleted the domain outside the refund window then you no longer own it. WordPress.com does. It will only become available to register again when it expires in 11 months time. What you should have done is not cancelled but just pointed the domain to a different site at a different host. It may be possible to recover the domain here but there will no doubt be extra charges to be paid as the domain is in the redemption period. This post is tagged to ask if a member of staff could advise you.

• Hello there

I decided to cancel my WordPress account and switch to Wix. However, my domain (mossyelk.com) seems to be trapped in WordPress. Through a site that can find where the domain is located, it shows its still through WordPress.

We never recommend canceling a domain if you want to use it, canceling a domain means giving ownership of the domain.

When a domain is canceled it goes through a series of stages that you can check here. Currently, the domain is in redemption period and a fee of $80 is charged by the domain registry to redeem the domain. If the domain is not redeemed then it will be available again for public registration after some time but it is not exactly sure when the domain will be released.

Do let us know if you want to redeem the domain now so we can help you further with the redemption process. If you don’t want to redeem it, you can check back later after a few days if the domain becomes available again for registration.

• Hello, @staff-jeev

Yes, I would like your help with redeeming the domain now, if you think that’s the quickest way for me to be able to use it on Wix. For the record, I cancelled the domain within the refund window of 36 hours, I believe. Thank you so much for the help!

• Hi there,

I went ahead and sent you a manual payment link to your email address on file. Once that is completed I’ll go ahead and redeem that domain.

• Thanks, I just submitted the payment. Could you let me know what the next step would be?

• @staff-happinesspat Hello, I paid the $80 redemption fee and went to Wix to transfer the domain. They asked me to unlock the domain, so I got the code sent to my email from WordPress, and entered the code in Wix. I paid Wix around $30 to renew for another year. However I’m still seeing that the domain is active at WordPress. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

• Hi there!

The domain mossyelk.com is currently on a 60 day transfer lock till 15 June 2024.

It is only possible to transfer a domain 60 days after the registration date. This 60-day lock is required by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and cannot be waived.

You will be able to transfer out the domain from 16 June 2024. You can learn more here: https://wordpress.com/support/domains/transfer-domain-registration/#before-you-get-started

Meanwhile, you can use the domain with Wix by name server method.

If I may ask, what prompted you to move from WordPress.com to Wix? Was there anything in particular about WordPress.com that didn’t work out well for you?

If there’s anything I can do to assist you, I’d love to.

Reply to Cant transfer my domain from WordPress to Wix