Can't load pdf files: Plug-In Problem

• In six years of blogging on WP this is the first time I’ve encountered this problem. All my pdf files, including the one in my newest post tonight, comes up with the message when I click the URL link: “Couldn’t load plug-in.”

What’s this about? Has anyone a solution?

Thanks…JIm

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there. I think this is a browser issue rather than a WordPress issue: We can’t use plugins on WordPress.com, but your internet browser might require a plugin to open PDF files, so it’s more likely that error message is coming from your browser than from the website.

What browser and version are you using? Have you tried opening those links in a different browser? You can also try opening PDF files from a different website to confirm whether it’s your site or your browser that’s the problem.

(I tested your PDF links in Chrome 40 and Firefox 35. In Chrome, which has a PDF reader built-in they open normally and in Firefox the link downloads automatically as I don’t have a PDF reader add-on installed there.)

Check your usual browser’s add-ons/extensions and make sure they are working and up to date. Also try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies and updating the browser. http://en.support.wordpress.com/browser-issues/

• Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, you’re right. I later experimented with two other laptops in my house, one which uses Chrome and the other IE. My problem is with Chrome on my work laptop. The other laptops had no problem opening pdf files, so I’ll have to figure out how to fix my Chrome issue.

Cheers…JIm

• If updating Chrome doesn’t help, try a complete re-install.

The Google/Chrome forums and support pages might have a solution to this problem. You could check there as well.

Hope you get it fixed.

• The topic ‘Can't load pdf files: Plug-In Problem’ is closed to new replies.