Can't edit text widget

• For two days I’ve been trying to remove some copy and an image from a text widget (the top workshop in the sidebar, which is now over). But when I click save, the grey circle appears and just goes on for ever.

I’ve tried in Chrome, Firefox and Edge. I’ve tried using the Customizer and also via WP Admin > Appearance >Widgets. The result is the same.

I get no error message – just the grey circle that goes on indefinitely. I’ve cleared the browser cache and tried again – same result. I have Adblocker running but I’ve had that for years and had no problems. I’ve tried disabling it for WordPress but the edit is still not saving.

Any suggestions?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi @kwinter12,

I tried to replicate your scenario, by going to MySites->Customize->Widgets. Here is a screenshot of how it appears. I was successfully able to create and remove a text widget:

Screen Shot 2018 02 21 at 6 50 16 PM

Just share a screenshot of the Greyed area, so we can know better. Also, one more screenshot of your browser with this link in your URL(to get support details of your current tech environment):

http://supportdetails.com/

Looking forward to assisting you further.

Thanks!

• Hi Pavanraheja,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Here’s a screenshot – I’ve circled the grey circle that appears after I’ve tried to save an edit. It just keeps going round and round, for several hours, until I give up and leave the page without saving.

And here’s a shot of my current tech environment:

Kim

• Hi Kim,

Thanks for the details further. Just have a back up of the content for your widget and try to delete the widget and add it again along with your new content. Use the Calypso Dashboard(WordPress.com) to add the widget.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

• Thanks Pavanraheja – that seems to have solved the problem!

I hope I don’t have to do that every time I want to make a change though. :(

• Hi again,

Am glad I could help you. Could you try and Edit the widgets from this dashboard again –– see if the problem still persist. If it is the case, we can report the bug to staff.

Thanks!

• Hi Pavanraheja,

I managed to edit the widget in the Customizer panel. However, I also tried editing it via WP Admin > Appearance > Widgets, and it still didn’t work. I also had problems adding a new post in the last couple of days via WP Admin and had to use the other dashboard.

I prefer using WP Admin because I have more control and also I run several wordpress.org sites so the process is more consistent.

But is wordpress.com trying to force all users to use the other dashboard now? That’s really annoying if so.

Kim

• Hi Kim,

Am tagging the staff to provide their comments on this issue. Someone will revert us back here soon.

Thanks!

• Hi Kim,

You mentioned the same problem occurs across multiple browsers — Chrome, Firefox and Edge. This suggests it could be related to your internet connection rather than the site itself. Unstable or slower connections can cause the behaviour you are describing.

Do you have problems editing your site while connected to another network? For example, home or work.

@pavanraheja — thanks for your help with troubleshooting!

• Hi Gemma,

Interesting that you think it could be my internet connection that’s the problem. As mentioned, I also run several wordpress.org sites and didn’t have a similar problem uploading images or creating new posts on those sites. And I never had a problem with wordpress.com until the past week (same internet provider).

Anyway, I just tried editing the widget via WP Admin again and it worked this time, so hopefully the problem is now solved, whatever caused it.

Thanks for all contributions!
    Kim

• Hi Kim,

I’m pleased to hear you’ve been able to update your site now. If you have any further problems, you are welcome to reply here. Just let me know exactly which widget or post you are trying to update at the time and I’ll take a look.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again though!

• @gemmacevans: Happy to help! :)

@kwinter12: Glad to know everything in place! :)

• The topic ‘Can't edit text widget’ is closed to new replies.