Can one block do the work of four different ones?

• The Paragraph block allows text, but not images (except inline images) or videos.
    • The Image block allows images, but not text.
    • The Video block allows videos, but not images or text.
    • The Media & Text block allows media (images or videos) and text to be displayed side-by-side.

Why shouldn’t the Media & Text block not be able to do the job of all four of these blocks, making three of them redundant? If it’s not ready for that now, then couldn’t it be modified so that it’s able to accomplish everything that the other three can do?

Secondly, the Media & Text block seems to have obvious shortcomings in comparison to combining media and text in the Classic Editor, where with ease you can insert an image of any size anywhere within a paragraph. I’ve only tested this block briefly, but it doesn’t seem to allow the same type of freedom. Am I missing something?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• double negative correction:

“Why shouldn’t the Media & Text block be able to…”

• Hi there!

Why shouldn’t the Media & Text block not be able to do the job of all four of these blocks, making three of them redundant?

All of these blocks have a different purpose. The idea of building your site with blocks is to have a number of independent, simple blocks that can be combined together to create powerful designs, rather than to have one multipurpose block (there’s already the Classic Block for that).

In any case, the discussions and decisions for this come from the WordPress community so I’d encourage you to get involved on WordPress.org. There’s a GitHub repository for Gutenberg where you could create a Feature Request for this :).

• The topic ‘Can one block do the work of four different ones?’ is closed to new replies.