Boardwalk – infinite scroll issue

• Hi there,
    I’m using Boardwalk and I need help with setting up the “infinite scroll” option, or something of the sort. http://vod.re-voir.com

Currently I have 12 blog posts and the maximum of 12 is active in my “Reading” settings section. However, this is not very user-friendly, since one cannot really tell that we can scroll through the homepage, unless we actually start scrolling.

I previously tried making visible only 4 posts on the Homepage but then when I click on the “previous posts” arrow, the thumbnail featured-image becomes visible under the arrow that disappears, but the scroll doesn’t move the thumbnail posts to the left. Only a small portion of the new post thumbnail appears and this is too subtle to guess that we need to scroll through to access the appearing previous posts.

I would like to modify the behaviour of this scroll so that every time the user clicks the arrow the new posts slide to the left, like it happens in this example: http://meizer.com.ua/test/

I tried to search for this issue in the forums, but this was not fully addressed.

Thanks for any suggestion as to how this can be achieved with customized CSS, or any other method. I am subscribed under the Business plan.

Best regards,
    Diana

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi @ondemandrevoir!

The scrolling behavior you’ve described is part of how boardwalk is designed as a horizontally scrolling theme.

When the page loads, the posts are sized to intentionally show a bit of the last item, just a sliver of a post, which will prompt your visitors to scroll to see the rest of it.

The arrow that you to view more posts when they’re available creates a similar effect – a slice of the post and it’s title become visible, so your visitors will naturally react by scrolling to see more.

These aren’t items that can be changed (there’s more in play than CSS to make these scrolling effects possible).

Regarding the example you sent, that site is using something that’s more of a Slider or Carousel than a horizontally scrolling page.

There are a number of themes on WordPress.com that support sliders on their home pages – they won’t be the only item on the page as your example showed, but they do let you highlight specific posts that your visitors can click through (some will rotate automatically).

One note on sliders – different themes will support a different number of posts in the slider. Click on the theme on the search page I linked to to see learn more about the theme and how the slider works.

Another idea, if you like Boardwalk, but don’t feel like that horizontal flow is a good fit, would be the Cubic theme.

Cubic is actually based largely on Boardwalk, but uses a square look and vertical scrolling you may like better :)

• The topic ‘Boardwalk – infinite scroll issue’ is closed to new replies.