Anyone else having problems with the New Notifications Layout

• What on earth have you done with Notifications?
    All flashy stuff that doesn’t do the job.
    Scroll incorrectly and it drops out.
    Fast links to authors intermittently fails.
    It’s almost impossible to view everything on the screen in one go unlike the old layout.

Perhaps it’s time to mention the acronym KISS.
    Keep it stupidly simple. Some of us would like that option.

If the programmers want to go all flashy, away they go BUT can you at least include an option to select the old style layout as for me and others the new one is rubbish.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• I tagged this thread for Staff to take notice of your issues, concerns and feedback. Please subscribe to it so you are notified when they respond. To subscribe look in the sidebar of this thread, find the subscribe to topics link and click it.

• I agree — the new notifications system is AWFUL.
    I can’t tell which notifications I’ve seen and which I haven’t — and I can’t see anything older than one day.

• It’s seems like the format for everything WordPress.com is being converted to a smartphone template, which is just awful if you are using a PC with a large monitor. I have to do lots more clicking and scrolling, instead of just being able to see everything comfortable with a minimal of effort. Perhaps there can be two versions, one for PC, and one that’s really inconvenient but has larger icons, a vertical formal, and is otherwise inferior. Then WordPress.com can hit both markets, and maximize profits without alienating people who like to use a PC and full-sized keyboard.

• How ridiculous to make it all for tablets and smartphones. I never use WP with a smartphone unless I’m on the road.

Not only is it tougher to use – but – I am unable to access notifications older than one day old. You simply can’t get to them. I know they’re THERE because I was online yesterday and saw them — but today — not even an option.

Surely there’s a way to say “use old notifications format”, just like you can access the old dashboard and the old editor? (Please tell me there is.)

• The worst thing about the new notifications is that there is nothing to indicate which comments you’ve replied to. But several of us have been making that point to WP for weeks now, to no effect.

However, you can get to the old notifications page (until they kill it) by bookmarking https://wordpress.com/notifications

• Oh — THANK YOU! At least now I have a way to see what’s not been replied to, what’s unread!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

So frustrated. So very frustrated.

• Can somebody help me out with the notifications thing. What happens to me, is that thing that´s on the right top corner that turns orange keeps turning orange but once I hit it to see what is coming in if it´s a comment or a like the whole notification square goes white, nothing appears. If somebody could help me or give me a reason as to why this might be happening I would really appreciate it. In case it´s important I use a Mac OS x, so maybe that has something to do with all this?

• Some (positive) feedback.
    1 The new graphics look good but on my PC I am unable to scroll through the full list. I can do this on a tablet but not on the PC. It seems to work in some screen views but certainly not all)
    2 I can no longer access the archive.
    3 I find that there are some unnecessary clicks now required which can make the whole experience of checking through notifications much more cumbersome.
    The change seems to be consistent with the developers priority of vertical tablet screen use rather than horizontal PC screens.

The blog I need help with is apetcher.wordpress.com.

• Hi everyone!

I’m going to try to address each of your questions/concerns:

@jrosenberry1

I can’t tell which notifications I’ve seen and which I haven’t — and I can’t see anything older than one day.

The notifications should scroll indefinitely. So, when you get to the bottom of the notifications, another set will load. I just gave this a try and was able to go back quite far (more than a week). Could you give this another try?

Regarding which notifications you’ve seen and which you haven’t, notifications that you haven’t explicitly opened to look at while be highlighted in a light blue. Ones you have seen will have a white background:

http://d.pr/i/1gUvh

@fictionfanakaff

The worst thing about the new notifications is that there is nothing to indicate which comments you’ve replied to. But several of us have been making that point to WP for weeks now, to no effect.

I’ll pass this bit of feedback along! I did some testing, and you’re correct – I couldn’t find a way to distinguish when I’ve replied.

@charlypriest

What happens to me, is that thing that´s on the right top corner that turns orange keeps turning orange but once I hit it to see what is coming in if it´s a comment or a like the whole notification square goes white, nothing appears

Can you let me know what browser and browser version you’re using? You can find that information here:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

@apetcher

I can no longer access the archive.

The notifications should scroll indefinitely. Could you elaborate more here?

• @jeremeylduvall
    There is inconsistency. Notifications scroll in some screens but not others. It will scroll from stats but not from the dashboard or from an individual post! Is this another update that hasn’t been fully tested?

• I also don’t care for this new layout. What drove me crazy this morning is that my replies back to comments failed to post multiple times. Please bring back the OLD dashboard and notifications. I feel all this getting out of control. Feedback is asked for yet things just keep moving forward with more changes without addressing things in the past.

• @lauramacky

I think we have to accept that WP is changing its business model and product at the expense of its established user base. It wants a tablet focussed facebook style product and doesn’t need serious bloggers cluttering up its servers with lots of content!

• @jeremeylduvall — works inconsistently. I need it to work every time.

Your title is “happiness engineer” — um — I’m not very happy. At all. Can you please tell the rest of the staff that there are a lot of very, very unhappy people? That we’d be happy once again if you’d stop making unnecessary changes? That we’d be happy with the old, mostly-operational notifications system?

@apetcher – you may be right.

• @apetcher

There is inconsistency. Notifications scroll in some screens but not others. It will scroll from stats but not from the dashboard or from an individual post! Is this another update that hasn’t been fully tested?

Yep! We’ve been testing it quite a bit. I just tested on a post page, Dashboard, and WordPress.com. The notification tab scrolled the entire way and continued to infinite scroll and load older notifications. Could you let me know what browser/version you’re using?

@jrosenberry1

We’re definitely open to feedback, and we’re committed to improving the new notifications so that they’re even better than the old version. If you have any bugs to report or things that you would like to see improved upon, I’d love for you to share!

• This new notifications format appeared briefly on my blog a few weeks ago and then disappeared. I should have known it would be back. I hate it for all the reasons others have mentioned and that I mentioned before. Also, it takes up a lot more vertical space now than it did before. Apparently fat fingers on touch screens need everything bigger and more spread out. WP, it’s way too late now, but you should have kept the old interfaces (editing page, stats, notifications, menus, etc.) for computer users and developed a different, totally separate interface exclusively for touch screens.

• Incidentally, there’s absolutely no reason for notifications we’ve seen and dealt with to continue to appear on the list.

• windwhistle said:

WP, it’s way too late now, but you should have kept the old interfaces (editing page, stats, notifications, menus, etc.) for computer users and developed a different, totally separate interface exclusively for touch screens.

I agree. Except that it’s really not too late, unless WP wants to drive their old bloggers away and attract a totally new market of light-weight bloggers.

• No, it’s not too late. People like me are sitting on the fence — do I stay or do I go? The notification system was one of the points that made WordPress so much better than Blogger.

PLUS I’m having an issue with link-up widgets not working all of a sudden. Two issues at one time, and neither one with a positive outcome expected any time too soon.

Since money speaks, let me just say that I pay a heck of a lot of money to WP — paying to be commercial-free, paying for extra storage, paid for a layout, paid for VideoPress — and I have two blogs. If and when I leave, WP stands to lose a good bit of money. Hundreds, in fact.

• @jeremeylduvall – can’t we just go back to the (highly functional) previous system? To be sure I’m getting notifications, I have to check my email, check the notifications “balloon” tray, and check my phone.

Sometimes you can’t scroll past one screen worth of notifications. Sometimes you can. And it’s not an issue of needing to have the cache cleaned out. There’s really no rhyme or reason to it. AND — the difference in color is too subtle to see on PC. Very pale blue, very close to white — and I’ve tinkered with my screen settings to no avail. It’s very difficult to see even when the system IS working.

There really needs to be a setting that allows PC users to keep the old PC-friendly notifications settings.

• The topic ‘Anyone else having problems with the New Notifications Layout’ is closed to new replies.