A few suggestions about the upcoming 2.7 upgrade here

• I think WP.com have done a good job both with the new system and with managing the process.

Now do ya know what I mean by kissing up? I think they’ve done a great job too, but don’t feel a need to publicly state it. IMHO, the forums are about helping those who need it. Not patting the admin on the butt. :)

• If you have anything you need help with, feel free to ask. Otherwise I’ll continue to say what I think about 2.7 in this thread about 2.7.

• I don’t need your help. And that’s what I’m doing, talking about 2.7 under the 2.7 thread. Thanks.

• Oh, I must have misunderstood. I thought you were insulting the forum volunteers, not discussing 2.7.

• @rosclarke and arifsali, I too am surprised about how smoothly this upgrade went and how well the software works right out of the box. WordPress really did a good job on this one from the early communication and allowing people to chime in on the design of the navigation, to the actual upgrade.

The sign of a well designed and executed upgrade is that you get few people asking questions or complaining, and I think that is what we are seeing here. It isn’t that people cannot find a link to get to the forums to whine, it is that there are few complaints.

Not everyone will feel the same way about the new upgrade, but from someone who has designed and built nearly 100 database user interfaces over the years, WordPress did this one right. Are there things I would change about it? Yes, but my whines are very minor and are things I can easily live with. The things that people use every day are easy to get to and that is what is important.

• Yeah it came across that way towards me also that diamond,
    was insulting the forum volunteers.

• Sorry you felt that way Ros. If calling people out on kissing up and scolding those who don’t like the new 2.7 (both of which I’ve observed) is insulting to the forum volunteers, then I suppose I have insulted. Perhaps people ought to look at why they feel insulted? Anyhow, back on topic right?

• @diamondfistwerny – I for one think WP.COM did an excellent job this time around of advising their users of the coming changes and giving them early resources to help them get over that change as quickly as possible. If you see giving them credit for that as “kissing up,” then so be it. WP.COM may be a product, but it is also a community.

As far as inexperienced bloggers not being able to figure things out, how is this different than the 2.6 upgrade or any upgrade? As someone who himself used to hang out and help here on a regular basis, you know that’s what the user-to-user support forum is about. So, yes, please hang out and continue to help, which is always on topic.

Cheers!

• Just Jennifer, because with the 2.6 upgrade, people were able to get to the forums and support to ask questions. Why does it seem that everyone not getting that point?????? And no longer having a ‘visit site’ button. Sorry WordPress, but that is just plain and simply retarded. Once again, I have gotten 22 emails, at this point, from wordpressers who could not figure out how to get to forums or support. And yeah, I did used to participate here a lot. I got tired of the kissing up. See that that hasn’t changed. Nor has it changed where some forum ‘volunteers’ take stabs at inexperienced questioners. I saw that particularly on the 2.7 sucks thread. I will reiterate that I like 2.7, and will help any who have questions. But, there are some changes which seemed arbitrary and unnecessary. Particularly the things I’ve mentioned.

• A comment and a question:

Comment: I am one of those idiots who had NO idea a change was coming. None. NADA. I write and post and comment, and have generally paid no attention to what WP was up to until it hit me in the face last night. The first hour was rocky. After I figured out there were big changes and I’d better get with the program, it didn’t take more than another hour to 1) find the forums, 2) get to my site, 3) start collapsing and rearranging things, and 4) feel my blood pressure dropping. So, yeh – some things seem less intuitive, some things seem much better. It will sort itself out.

Question: Is there a way to put the word count back on the right side (or left) rather than at the bottom. It’s not convenient to have to keep scrolling to the bottom of my post to check on the word count.

Thanks.

• Not like this is of any major importance, which is why I decided to post this in a week old thread. But I can’t click on the help button when on my blog surfer. I assume this is a wordpress upgrade issue, seeing as how the help button works on other parts of my dashboard.

• Hmm. It’s not on tag surfer either.
    I never noticed that before, though.
    Guess I only use that feature when I’m procrastinating so I don’t need any more help with that. :-)

• @aw1923 & Tess: You can click on the “Support” or “Forums” tabs that were added at the bottom.

• you know, all this time I have been visiting the forums and never thought to look that far down the page to reach my destination here. I need to start scrolling more, thanks

• It wasn’t there from the beginning of 2.7: it was added after the numerous complaints that the Forum tab was no longer top-level. Personally, I’ve got the Forum in my browsers’ bookmarks bar instead.

• I’m here so much I just type en.f and my browser goes here automatically!

• The topic ‘A few suggestions about the upcoming 2.7 upgrade here’ is closed to new replies.