You do not have permission to upload media

• I started a WordPress.com free website and was able to edit my site fine for a few weeks until it suddenly said I didn’t have permission to upload media (I can only add images by url).

I am admin of my site and logged into the correct account. Not sure what to do so I can fix this.

Here’s a screenshot of what I keep seeing: https://snipboard.io/4i3JHB.jpg

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Usually when an issue like this occurs, it can be traced to an expired (or broken) login auth cookie stored on your local web browser, which manifests as a permissions issue of some kind. It looks like you are using Google Chrome as your browser, so with this in mind I would like you to try the following

– clear your cache and cookies based on the steps google recommends here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050
    – Also make sure you are not blocking any “3rd party cookies” as explained in that guide as well.
    – If you continue to have loading issues after completing those steps, I would like you to try another browser instead, like Firefox. Are you able to proceed if you use a browser other than Chrome?

Thanks for the additional info!

• @staff-totoro

I tried clearing cache and cookies, set permissions to “allow all cookies”, refreshed, and it still did not work. I tried switching to a different browser, but I have the same problem.

I have another WordPress account that I use on the same browser, same computer, and that one lets me upload media. It’s only this WordPress account that doesn’t work, for some reason.

Any tips?

Thanks!

• Hi there,

Can you please log out and log back into your account and then try to upload those media files?

Sometimes a simple trick like that resolves those kind of issues.

• @fstat, I just tried that and still no luck.

• Hi there,

From the reports I have seen of this, it definitely appears to be browser-related and the issue is usually temporary.

However, since changing browsers did not work for you, I wanted to see if you could briefly switch your theme to a default theme such as twenty seventeen, clear your browser cache and cookies and then reinstate the theme back to Hever?

Let me know if that changes anything. Thanks!

• IT WORKS NOW!

The solution was restarting/updating my computer. It worked like a charm after that.

Thanks for all your help :)

• The topic ‘You do not have permission to upload media’ is closed to new replies.