WriteUp in PCWorld.com

• Just in case you haven’t seen it in your Dashboard.

101 Fabulous Freebies – Blogging Tools for Everyone

Granted I don’t read PCWorld since I figured out that they usually copy over press releases as their own work. They also state that you can’t do remote blogging here and themes are not editable (OK, so you can only do edits on some of them) but it’s still nice to see a link and a mention.

• They say their favourite (sorry, favorite) service is blogger?

Hmm.

I had a look at Blogger this afternoon to try and understand why so many people whine about it.

Unless you know exactly what you’re doing, it’s so easy to screw your template it’s unbelievable. I can see why there’s so many godawful themed blogs over there. I *can* code HTML and CSS to a point and looking at the way they’ve set it up it scared me!

Having to edit the HTML page to put links in? Purlease!

Give me WordPress MU or hosted every single damn time. Ok, the themes here aren’t editable, you can’t remote blog (yet!), WP has its issues too, but I’m fine with that thankyou very much!

And, ohgodtheymentionedmyspace in the same article. Sheesh!

Your ever loving WordPress Fanboy!

• I thought you can remote blog using the xml-rpc system with something that supports the Blogger API?

• You can with the hosted version, but there’s not the facility to here at .com (I don’t think). At least, I haven’t found it yet.

/me shouts: PODZ!

;)

• I can use w.bloggar here without any problems :)
    http://wbloggar.com/

You just need your endpoint which for me is
    http://podz.wordpress.com/xmlrpc.php

• Suweet!

Cheers Podz – score two against the PCW article. :)

• Works a treat too!

Is this in the FAQ?

EDIT: Hehe – beat me to it! :)

• The Blogger API Plugin works as well with a lot of mucking around and testing. :)

• Okay, okay break it up you geeks[said she grinning]. You are definitely having far too good a time banging on blogger to leave me out of the bash, if you know what I mean.

This was my newbie experience of blogger. I didn’t know a damn thing about html, css or any kind of code and still don’t, although I’m trying to learn some from basics the web using sites ptvguy directed me to [bless you Tim].

The instructions I got a blogger for altering my template were not “newbie friendly” and written as though directed to an idiot child. They were written for folks with more knowledge of computers and of code than I was possessed of.

The blogger forum was replete with hormonally imbalanced young myspace-cadets who were more interested in “making contact” (read into that what you will – the double entendre is intended)and speaking to one another in lingo and jargon than really trying to help a near luddite like moi.

Consequently, everything (well, almost everything) I tried to do screwed up my template and made me feel like a failure and screw-up. This in turn made me angry [I’m Irish].

On top of that somehow I didn’t understand the instructions so my real name became my posting name even though I did have an alias. That would have been of little consequence but my political foes were on me like fleas on a dog, quibbling over minor errors in my posts before I even knew how to edit them.

Then there was the waiting, and the waiting, and the waiting, and the waiting after posting something to see it actually appear hours later and sometimes not until the following day.

In between were the phonecalls from people saying I can’t find what you posted yet. Which is not to mention the many times that mysteriously I simply could not achieve a connection to my blog at all.

Fluff you blogger! [she finally shrieked into the void of cyber space]. Blogging was supposed to be fun, not work. This isn’t fun. This is work. Well, if I had to go back to work it would have been either in the law or as a librarian because in those arenas I can kick ass royally. Blogger sucks. I’m out of here [she muttered and packed herself off to WordPress] where we all get by with help from friends.

And that dear geeks is how y’all inherited me which I suppose could be viewed as a bloody curse, if I don’t restrain myself from making long posts like this one on the support forum, right?

tra-la-la
    And in the same article as myspace! [gag me].

• Well, I’ve just used W Bloggar to post to two different blogs and it couldn’t have been easier to configure and start writing.

Thanks for the heads up podz – this just became essential usage for me.

• Podz – TT was referring to blogger.com as the blogging application of choice mentioned in the PCW article. We managed to go off-topic with the wbloggar thing!

TT – Geek? Moi? *nods* ;) Come say “Hi” over at Dr Mike’s unofficial “wp.com” community forum at http://forums.tdjc.be :)

• Our favorite service is Blogger. The first major free blogging tool (launched in 1999), Blogger stays ahead of the game by remaining incredibly convenient to use and by offering a rich complement of features.

Lying bastards!!

• Well, no they don’t lie, you just have to know how to put them in the template yourself.

offering – giving you the ability to screw over the entire server by allowing anything in your template…

• They labeled my blog a spam blog and posts started vanishing and I lost six months of work.

• But they won’t get rid of honest sblogs. Funny that. :(

• Huh? I never had a spam blog. Maybe the ads made them think I was a spam blog but Dean put those ads there because he had to because he paid for bandwidth because I was on his site feed. This is what Blogger wrote back:

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in, and I’m sorry about the delayed response. The
    reason your posts weren’t publishing correctly was because your blog
    was
    categorized as spam by our automated classifying system. This caused a
    word verification form to show up beneath the post field of new
    entries,
    so that you had to fill in the word before you would be able to publish
    the post. I’ve gone ahead and reviewed, verified, and whitelisted your
    blog so that it will no longer appear as potential spam. If you sign
    out
    of Blogger and sign back in again, you should be able to post as
    normal.
    Thanks for your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience this
    has
    caused. Please note that all your entries from the past six months are
    still on Blogger and intact. Until we update Blogger’s interface to
    allow
    for viewing more than 300 recent posts in your post editor, you can
    append
    &selNumPosts=XXX to the end of the URL, where XXX = the number of posts
    you’d like to display.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
    (her name)
    Blogger Support

• Blogger was really cool back in the day. Then they got so preoccupied with their spam blog infestation that they forgot to start adding features. Then they tacked a gaudy navbar to the top of every single blog. They finally added search, what, last year? They still haven’t added categories, and they have so many legacy blogs in their databases that it’ll be really hard to do so. When they implemented photo uploading, they introduced code that broke half of the custom templates that their users created.

For a coder like me, I like the template based system, but I’m guessing that only a tiny subset of blogger users know enough about html/css to make actual improvements to their templates (or new templates all together). The WP widget system, in my mind, is actually fairly revolutionary — finally a way for people to customize their blog’s presentation without having to know much html/css.

But the best indication that Blogger is in decline is this: I’m subscribed to the blogs of much of the Blogger staff, and they never post. If you don’t use your product, how can you improve it?

• Just to pick up and expand on your last point GD, when XP was released IBM purchased 30,000 licences. It was a big fat kick in the teeth for their own operating system OS/2 Warp (as it was). With IBM not using their own product and effectively endorsing XP their OS/2 died fairly quickly afterwards. I guess it’s the same happening with Blogger. If the staff aren’t using it then why should the users?

With the amount of Blogger users appearing here at wp.com I have to wonder how long Blogger will last. Yes, there’s a Million + bloggers out there, but there’s also much better supported blogging apps out there too. We all know which one is the best, and it most certainly isn’t Blogger.

• The topic ‘WriteUp in PCWorld.com’ is closed to new replies.