Why won’t you support Javascript?

• I’ve just been told that I can’t add some HTML text to make a widget because the widget consists of Javascript plus Flash – but much more basic blog-builders like Blogger have this function! Why won’t a more powerful blogging system like WordPress support Javascript plus Flash? It doesn’t seem to make any sense.

While we’re at it, ARE you going to add a followers widget? or a site that professes to help you stay in touch more easily, it would seem to me that a Blogger-style followers widget would be the easiest way to see who’s reading!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Did you click on the Link I provided for you in the last thread ? the answer sits just a click away if you didn’t here is the link again » http://en.support.wordpress.com/code/

Quoted form the support page

WordPress.com is a type of shared environment, where all users are running off of the same software. This is great because it allows us at Automattic to update millions of blogs at the same time with a single click. It means we can fix bugs or offer new features very quickly, which is a win for you as users. Having all users running on the same software can also be dangerous. If we aren’t careful, one user has the potential to take down the entire site. So this is why we need to limit some of the things you post on your blog.

Users are not allowed to post JavaScript on WordPress.com blogs. JavaScript can be used for malicious purposes. As an example, JavaScript has taken down sites such as MySpace.com and LiveJournal offline in the past. The security of all the blogs is a top priority and until we can guarantee scripting languages will not be harmful they will not be permitted.

• Fair enough. What about the other question?

• You’re second question can go in to the ideas forum for staff or you contact them directly with the question please note that if you post the question in the “Ideas Forums” staff might not see it right away since this forum is volunteered base by WP.com members.

You are free to use both methods of posting if you would like!

Here is their contact link http://en.support.wordpress.com/contact/

• The topic ‘Why won’t you support Javascript?’ is closed to new replies.