Why Can't I Set The Image Thumbnail For My Posts?

• I’ve been using the theme I’m using for a while now, Stratford on my site thefascistnewworldorder.com and I’ve never had any problems, it used to choose the first photo at the top of the post as the thumbnail which would appear on social media, and then it changed in the last few weeks and it was the photo at the bottom of the page, and then it just went random and I don’t know what causes it to choose which photo. It will choose a photo in the middle of the post, maybe because it has an eBay link on it? It’s usually the post that I want to be the thumbnail least, the ads I’m doing. I tried setting the featured image, but that puts a huge photo at the top of each post that I can’t alter at all, and I like having a video at the top of the post. I just want the theme to work in the way it always did, it’s actually changed.

• Hi there!

The way it works is that we suggest the social platform you’re sharing to, a thumbnail image to use but it’s ultimately not in our hands as to which image is used.

Have a look at this page: https://wordpress.com/support/facebook-image-thumbnail/. You’ll see the list of priority order that Facebook will use to determine which image should be associated with posts. You’ll also find there guidelines about image size and aspect ratio. Following them will give so you a higher chance that Facebook will fetch your desired image.

I hope that helps :)

• The topic ‘Why Can't I Set The Image Thumbnail For My Posts?’ is closed to new replies.