Why are links on my blog being click-jacked?

• That is rather odd, we aren’t running Skimlinks at this moment, and even if we did, the error you’re seeing would still be something on your end.

• And, even knowing that skimlinks is something that WordPress runs is disheartening—having links I’ve placed on the blog redirected???

• Our Skimlinks implementation does not replace active links, and we are not running Skimlinks at this moment.

As stated before, this is definitely not something on our end, so there is nothing that we can do about it.

• I don’t doubt you know what what you’re saying yet to have had skimlinks redirect my links and then find out WordPress does use skimlinks is still disheartening—though i hope you’re sure WordPress doesn’t use skimlinks to re-direct—although the email from skimlinks seems to indicate they think WordPress uses it this way—this whole thing is an enigma, eh??

• Skimlinks do redirect (they pass through the Skimlinks server and then on to the intended destination), but (when we use Skimlinks) we don’t hijack active links.

• I don’t know what “they pass through the Skimlinks server and then on to the intended destination” means…

“intended” by skimlinks or “intended” by where the links I wrote should go?

Also, I just checked again—logged out of my account—clicked the links—Damn! They went where they should!!

I can’t doubt my sanity—they were trying to go to skimlinks, that’s what the error I pasted in up there said (I think…): “The certificate is only valid for the following names:
    *.skimresources.com , skimresources.com “

Is it possible someone “flipped the wrong switch” (at WordPress or skimlinks) or some code went temporarily schitzo???

• I don’t know what “they pass through the Skimlinks server and then on to the intended destination” means…

When you click a Skimlink intended for something on Amazon.com (for example), it first goes to Skimlinks so they can record the click and we can eventually get money to continue to provide free things, then it’s sent to wherever it was going on Amazon. The whole thing should take less than a second, but there is a redirect involved.

Also, I just checked again—logged out of my account—clicked the links—Damn! They went where they should!!

Success!

Is it possible someone “flipped the wrong switch” (at WordPress or skimlinks) or some code went temporarily schitzo???

As said, we are not currently running Skimlinks and do not hijack active links when we do. We hijack inactive key words. For example, the unlinked word “headphones” may take you to a search for headphones on Amazon via Skimlinks.

I image a browser extension or some other malware was automatically injecting these. We aren’t the only thing to (occasionally) run Skimlinks.

• OK, is it possible that the redirect warning (since I never said ok take me there) would have actually taken me to where I intend the links to go but some code at WordPress temporarily was throwing up the can’t verify certificate warning?

• WordPress wouldn’t have been sending that warning, your browser would have been doing that if it couldn’t verify something.

All in all, probably just a glitch since it can’t be reproduced.

• OK, one last question…

I sure don’t mind WordPress making money with ads since they provide me with such a Great Platform but…

I don’t get how WordPress can make money if only this happens: “When you click a Skimlink intended for something on Amazon.com (for example), it first goes to Skimlinks so they can record the click and we can eventually get money…”

How does just “passing through” skimlinks server make slimlinks willing to give WordPress money?

• One would presume they need to have an account at skimlinks, no?

• I don’t understand your question, timethief….

• I’ve dealt with Skimlinks in previous jobs. Here’s the quick very simplified version of the way it works:

They themselves (Skimlinks) have affiliate accounts with thousands of retailers. So, rather than having to set up every affiliate account themselves, a web company can just have an account with Skimlinks.

Skimlinks checks every link posted on a site to see if it’s to one of their partner retailers. If it is, they redirect the link through their servers, record where it came from, send it on to the retailer, and then the Skimlinks partner website (in this case, group of WordPress websites) gets a cut of any sales that the link generates.

So, for example, in this case amzolt is posting a link to a book on amazon. Skimlinks sees that, routes the link so that they can record where it came from (WordPress), and then waits to see if anyone clicks through and buys the product. If they do, Skimlinks records that and gives whatever percentage is owed of the sale to WordPress.

Now, at the moment, WordPress isn’t running Skimlinks. So this is just a hypothetical. But that is how it works.

• Thanks, monkeybutler—explains their rationale…

• The topic ‘Why are links on my blog being click-jacked?’ is closed to new replies.