Where have ‘manage reusable blocks’ gone?

• Where can I manage all the reusable blocks I have on my blog?

I can find ‘Manage Patterns’ but when clicking on it, I’m taken to a new page that says my blog refuses to connect.

WP.com: Yes
    Jetpack: No
    Correct account: Yes

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi Hugh, where in your dashboard do you click that link to “Manage Patterns”? Can you give more detail about the error message when you say “refuses to connect”?

If I go directly to /wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=wp_block I’m able to access the ones I’ve created and saved.

• Hi @justjennifer

I found this information on WordPress and followed it.

https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/create-a-pattern/#:~:text=To%20view%20and%20edit%20all,for%20use%20on%20another%20site.

However, when clicking on the tree dots, I can’t see an option for ‘Manage Reusable Blocks.’ But there is an option for ‘Manage Patterns.’

But when clicking on ‘Manage Patterns’, a new screen opens saying ‘hughsviewsandnews.wordpress.com refused to connect.

Does that help?

• OK-this is interesting. I have the same link “Manage Patterns” in the sidebar and it goes to /wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=wp_block and the dashboard there opens without issue when I’m using the Classic dashboard view.

If I try to open that link while in the Default/WordPress.com view, I get an error from Firefox.

Staff-the link I’m brought to after clicking “Manage Patterns” is https://wordpress.com/page/wpcommaven.com/13318 and this is what appears

• And Hugh, please let us know what browser and OS you’re using.

• I was in the Default/WordPress.com view. I tried the Classic view, and it works there. I guess there’s an error viewing ‘Manage Patterns’ when in the Default view?

I’m using Chrome and MacOS Sonoma version 14.0.

Some feedback for you – I’m not sure why reusable blocks are now called Patterns. I think it’s confusing and should be changed back to ‘Manage Reusable Blocks.’

• And Staff you can ignore that link I provided as it’s a link to the draft page I was editing.🤦🏻‍♀️

The link in “Manage Patterns” in the sidebar is the same as in the Classic dashboard /wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=wp_block but behaves differently if editing from the Default dashboard.

• Hey folks, thanks for the bug report! I can confirm the core team moved “Reusable Blocks” into patterns intentionally, but it shouldn’t be giving you errors like this. We’ll dig into this and get it surfaced with the right team.

• Letting you know we’ve got a fix in place for the menu item, but it looks like the blocks themselves are also affected by the same issue.

For now, when you need to manage reusable blocks, I’d recommend using wp-admin’s editor directly. We’ll update you when this is solved fully.

• I’m still getting the same “Firefox can’t open this page” error when clicking the “Manage Patterns” link in the Post Editor’s sidebar menu when I’m in Default view. Was that the link that was fixed?

Not sure what you mean by “it looks like the blocks themselves are also affected”…

• Likewise, I’m on Chrome, and when in Default view and clicking on ‘manage Patterns’, I’m getting an error message that my blog won’t connect to the page – exactly the same as I first reported.

• Hmm, looks like they though they had a fix, but it is more complicated.

The problem is that Calypso (which uses wordpress.com/post) currently uses an iFrame, and some browsers are balking at links within it.

So for now, do keep using wp-admin directly for this. We’ll keep working to resolve it.

• Yeah, I’ve had that WP Admin link as a browser bookmark since Reusable Blocks were introduced simply because I found it annoying to go the long way around to get to it.

Thanks for reporting it.

• Hi, I am curious if there’s an update on this matter. I am getting an error message when block editor is being used: ‘Updating failed. The response is not a valid JSON response.’ Once this message appears I am unable to save or publish the content.

Further more, If I use the classic editor instead and then change to the block editor I still get the error message, however, it allows me to save and continue. Saveing and Publishing does work, Some reusable blocks are not working( Not consistent of which once work and don’t work).

Is it recommended to remove/delete existing blocks?

• Hi @niclasharitos – would you mind please either starting a new forum topic or reaching out via live chat or email so we can have a closer look? When you do, please let us know on which of your sites you’re experiencing the issue, along with a link to exactly where you are in the dashboard when you’re seeing this error, and the name of the resuable block. Thanks!

• The topic ‘Where have ‘manage reusable blocks’ gone?’ is closed to new replies.