What happened to hiding related videos?

• Hi,

I’m certain that there used to be a shortcode to hide related videos when embedding a YouTube video, and it was featured on this page: https://en.support.wordpress.com/videos/youtube/

I’ve used it a lot, and I managed to find the shortcode again which I copied and pasted. It seems to still work fine on my end, all the related videos are from that content creator (which has been the case for a while), which is ideal for several reasons. For example, you’d have the reassurance that inappropriate videos weren’t being recommended on your blog.

I just wanted to ask, is there a reason why this was removed, and has something changed? I’m curious because I used the hiding related videos feature quite a lot.

Thanks very much. :)

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• I don’t know if this helps. This doc https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters?csw=1 says:

The behavior for the rel parameter is changing on or after September 25, 2018. The effect of the change is that you will not be able to disable related videos. However, you will have the option of specifying that the related videos shown in the player should be from the same channel as the video that was just played.

• Hmm…interesting, thanks for finding that! That’s what I suspect, although the change to the WordPress.com documentation was made a while after September, I think.

Perhaps it’s worth mentioning on the WordPress.com documentation that related videos can be restricted to videos from the same channel, since that’s a pretty useful feature. :)

• Hi there,

It looks like that info was actually removed only yesterday. I’ll follow up on why it was removed rather than updated.

@torres126

Perhaps it’s worth mentioning on the WordPress.com documentation that related videos can be restricted to videos from the same channel, since that’s a pretty useful feature.

Does that work as advertised for you?

• @kokkieh Yes, that works as intended for me using the same shortcode as before.

• Thanks for confirming.

It looks like Google’s initial release notes may have been a bit ambiguous as to the behaviour, causing someone else to remove the info completely. We’ve double checked, and have updated the doc with the new behaviour.

• The topic ‘What happened to hiding related videos?’ is closed to new replies.