the more tag isnt working with gatewaytheme Help please

• i have a problem with using the more tag
    my blog is
    Weeveldwordpresscom
    i have 7 posts in this blog each one have a more tag in it i know that it supports it because i have seen th demo site for the theme and they used it multiple times i know the way of using the excerpts but i just really rather not to use them so can any one help me please

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi,

My tests indicated that, in posts on the posts page the Gateway theme automatically displays a “More” link at the end of excerpts, even though the More tag is not added to the content. It also evidently automatically truncates posts of a certain length on the posts page, perhaps a certain amount of characters, ending the truncated portion with a “More” link.

When I added a More tag to the content of a post that was already being automatically truncated on the posts page, the post was cut off at the point where I entered the More tag, yet the “More” link did not display. This may be a bug. I’ll add a tag to the sidebar of this topic to call for staff attention.

• I forgot to mention in the second paragraph above that in my test where I inserted the More tag in a post, it was inserted before the point where the post had been automatically truncated (on the posts page) without entering a More tag.

• When I added a More tag to the content of a post that was already being automatically truncated on the posts page, the post was cut off at the point where I entered the More tag, yet the “More” link did not display.

In other words, adding a More tag to a post which is already automatically truncated (on the posts page) with a More link, removes the automatically displayed More link, and doesn’t display the added More link.

• there is no updates no staff team have replied and no answer till now one have tagged the post with having the same problem as me
    We wish someone help us soon

• Hi, it seems you’ve switched themes.

Doc is correct though. Gateway automatically truncates the posts for you. No need to use the more tag with that theme.

• @ supernovia,

Gateway automatically truncates the posts for you. No need to use the more tag with that theme.

That’s only half of the problem. The other half is that if you use a More tag to truncate the post at a point before the point where the theme automatically truncates it, it will truncate the post at that point, yet leave no More link. So, given that the tag is placed before the point of the automatic truncation, there will be a More link if you don’t add a More tag, but there will not be More link if you do add a More tag.

That’s why I said, after trying to describe this effect above,

This may be a bug. I’ll add a tag to the sidebar of this topic to call for staff attention.

• Ah, I understand now. I’ll see what I can find.

• We’ve discussed the same problem in the german forum recently. Just wanted to mention it in order to emphasise that there is interest in a solution to the problem. :)

• So we’ve found this is default behavior with the excerpt vs using a “more” tag. If you’d like to customize what appears on the front page with Gateway, please create a custom excerpt instead of using “More” . Or, if you don’t want to do that custom work each time, just go ahead and write your posts without the more tag for now. Cheers!

• No problem. Cheers :)

• The topic ‘the more tag isnt working with gatewaytheme Help please’ is closed to new replies.