The more tag is broken

• If I insert a <!–more–> tag into a page I’m composing for my blog on wordpress.com it does nothing. The page renders without a jump in the middle. This is true of both the preview and the published page.

This used to work. I have a blog page from January of 2011 that contained a <!–more–> tag. It rendered correctly then, but I just went back and checked and it no longer renders correctly. I don’t know when it broke.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• You’ll only see the results of the tag on the front page of the site, not in the post itself. If you need to break a long post into several sections, you can use Pagination.

• Oh, wait, you said in a Page? Then you’ll definitely need to use Pagination. The More tag only works on Posts appearing on the front/home page of a site. http://en.support.wordpress.com/splitting-content/nextpage/

• I find the documentation on this feature confusing, but with your explanation I think I get it. Say I write a post called my-post containing a <!–more–> tag and it’s the top post on my blog site. Then if someone accesses that post via the URL

mysite.wordpress.com

they will see a jump. However, if they access it via the URL

mysite.wordpress.com/yyyy/mm/dd/my-post

they will not see a jump. Is that right?

Regardless, pagination looks like it will work for what I want to do.

• That is correct. It’s a common question. When you look at that unique post’s page, you don’t see the jump.

• The topic ‘The more tag is broken’ is closed to new replies.