The editors cannot change the author of the post on WordPress.com?

• On my website I have authors and editors. The editors are responsible for publishing the authors’ entries.

In WordPress.org publishers can publish on behalf of others, but not in WordPress.com.

It is right? Why? Do I have to make them Administrators?

• Hi there,

As mentioned below the description of each user explained at the link below, Editors are able to do so.
    User roles
    Administrator – nothing is off limits
    Editor – has access to all posts, pages, comments, categories, tags, and links.
    Author – can write, upload photos to, edit, and publish their own posts.

Editor
    An Editor can create, edit, publish, and delete any post or page (not just their own), as well as moderate comments and manage categories, tags, and links.

Author
    An Author can create, edit, publish, and delete only their own posts, as well as upload files and images. Authors do not have access to create, modify, or delete pages, nor can they modify posts by other users. Authors can edit comments made on their posts.

You can also create and Author Widget to show all of your authors explained further here:
    Authors Widget
    This will link to a list of all their former posts, as well as links to posts they’ve recently written.

Let us know if you have more questions.

• I’m sorry, but it doesn’t answer my question.

Editors can change the author of the posts in WordPress.org (new posts or old posts), but in WordPress.com they can’t?

Do I have to convert the editors in admins?

• As far as the information that I’ve searched, yes only the Admin can change the author of the post. If you want to show a different user as author, then first you need to make sure that this user exists on your WordPress site. And I’ve already tag the staff @staff-mckluskey to provide confirmation on this matter. Hang in there. Thanks.

• Good Morning –

WordPress.com and WordPress.org do not parallel each other exactly. It’s not advised to have more than one admin on a site either. The admin role has the ability to make irreversible changes. Would a better option be to use theme that does not display the author name?

• No, but thanks for the replies.

I don’t understand this difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, honestly.

• @staff-zinnia i’ve read that most staffs recommends to only have one admin for security and managing purposes. But in this case if the Editor wants to change the author, they MUST be then changed to an Admin right? Because ONLY the Admin has the right to change information like this?

As you said to try switching to other themes to not show the author at all, but what if people want to remain with the same theme is there another way? Can it be done by using the Author Widget? As it will link directly to the author who wrote it (or who ever they decided it to be) when it’s being published by the editor/admin and not by the author itself. Correct me if i’m wrong please.

Thanks.

• @aldeasociacion

I don’t understand this difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, honestly.

WordPress.org It is open source and 100% free for anyone to use. All you need is a domain name and web hosting. This is why it is also referred to as self-hosted WordPress. This requires purchasing hosting with another provider, such as Bluehost, GoDaddy, etc. and installing WordPress software on it. You will need to research and install your own themes and plugins. With WordPress.org, you have full control of your website. You are free to do anything you want and customize it as much as you need. You are responsible for updates and backups of your site.

WordPress.com is different. Here at WordPress.com, you don’t have to download software, pay for hosting, or manage a web server. You can instead focus on creating wonderful content, and let us handle the rest! You can then upgrade your site for a custom domain (mycoolblog.com) and some super features using WordPress.com Plans. In other words you can just focus on your creativity and let us handle the rest while you keep publishing your content to the world.
    Depending on what you need, WordPress.com have certain features installed so you don;t need any third party plugin. For example If you want to use Google Analytics for more in-depth data, you can integrate it with a site on our WordPress.com Business Plan. Read more about the differences here: WordPress.com VS WordPress.org

I also found this article to be very well explained showingArticle the differences.

I hope this clarifies your confusion or else ask more questions.

• Editor wants to change the author, they MUST be then changed to an Admin right?

Correct, only Administrators can change the author attribution.

but what if people want to remain with the same theme is there another way?

In all themes, the author byline can be hidden via CSS: https://en.support.wordpress.com/custom-design/custom-css/

• Thanks, I have several sites on WordPress.org but this is a different project.

I simply did not know the difference in permissions between WordPress Editors. In my opinion, by default they should have the same permissions.

• The topic ‘The editors cannot change the author of the post on WordPress.com?’ is closed to new replies.