"The Add More" Tag does not work…

• Hi,

I have been using the “Read More” tag and even though I insert it in my posts I do not always see it there when I preview it, whether it is a draft and marked private or a public and published post. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I need help fixing this and I also wanted to provide some feedback. There was a time a while ago when all I had to do was mark a general setting that would allow all my posts to appear as full posts on my blog page or just as previews and the reader would have to click on “read more” to read the full post. This is very tedious and annoying how each time one has to manually add “the read more” tag and it doesn’t even always work whether it is with the classic editor or the new block editor.

Thank you,
    Sophie

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi Sophie,

even though I insert it in my posts I do not always see it there when I preview it

You should never see that tag when you preview your posts, because that tag only displays on your site’s posts page, not on individual posts.

If you add it to a post, but the post appears in full on the posts page, that would be a problem. In that case we’ll need the URL of the specific post so we can take a look.

But not seeing the tag when you’re looking at the post itself on its own page or in the editor preview is completely normal.

There was a time a while ago when all I had to do was mark a general setting that would allow all my posts to appear as full posts on my blog page or just as previews and the reader would have to click on “read more” to read the full post.

This is dependent on your theme – some themes have the option to let you display all posts as summary on the posts page, some themes don’t.

The Eighties theme you’re using on http://easysimpleandhappy.wordpress.com/ does not support this particular feature, so in this theme the only way to show only excerpts on the posts page is by using the more tag/block.

• simplysophieandbooks · Member ·

Hi, Sorry for the late response. For some reason I did not get the notification of the response in my email for WP support forum. I really appreciate your response and help.

• The topic ‘"The Add More" Tag does not work…’ is closed to new replies.