Suggestions for the new Blog Posts view

• I have some feedback I’d like to share about the new interface for listing posts, at the URL wordpress.com/posts/…

I’ve been blogging with WordPress.com for almost 9 years now and am very comfortable with the old wp-admin. But I can see that the old stuff is not getting any love anymore, and so I’ve been using the new Calypso tools to get used to them and eventually transition fully to them.

I really like the look of everything that’s part of Calypso. It’s overall a pleasure to use. And it’s so fast! Everyone involved should be proud of the work they did.

There are some minor things that I haven’t figured out how to adjust to, however, and I wonder if they could be considered for tweaks that would improve the experience — definitely for me, but I can’t imagine my use cases are unique.

It will help you to know that on my main blog I post six mornings a week, and I try to have about 2 weeks of posts queued in advance. It happens reasonably often that I rearrange the order of my scheduled posts.

The old wp-admin’s very compact view of posts is an advantage to me: I can see a whole bunch of posts at a glance. This bird’s-eye view is very useful when I rearrange post order, and schedule new posts.

I love that the new posts view separates drafts, published posts, and scheduled posts into separate views. But in it I can see just a couple posts at a time. It would be wonderful if the new posts view had a “compact mode” that let me see more posts. Perhaps eliminating the photo would do it.

Additionally, I miss the “quick edit” feature in the new posts view. Now, to rearrange post order or tweak tags/categories, I have to go all the way in to editing the post.

Finally, the new posts view tells me in how many days my post will go live (e.g., “In 18 days”). I find this to be a little challenging to use. I post Monday through Saturday at 5 am, and specific post types go live on specific days of the week. I always have to count forward from today’s date the number of days shown on the post, and then look at a calendar to see what day of the week that i.

The old wp-admin posts list gave the calendar date (e.g., 2016/02/04), which was easier to use for that — all I had to do was look up the day of the week. It would be great if this could be how the new posts view represented it. It would be even better if it could just say “Thursday, 21 Feb 16 at 5:00 am” as it would give me all the info I needed at a glance, with no calculations or conversions.

Again, I want to praise the great results you’ve delivered with the whole Calypso project. I just hope you’ll consider my modification requests as they will make the experience so much more solid for me, and I’m sure others.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Thanks for this, @jimgrey. I’m going to go ahead and file each of these suggestions for you. While I can’t promise whether or when we’ll be able to implement them, we really appreciate the feedback.

• Thanks! I understand, no promises. But I appreciate you putting them into the backlog.

• The topic ‘Suggestions for the new Blog Posts view’ is closed to new replies.